Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Monday's Memories: A Few Famous Ships

KJ told me tonight that the world was waiting for the next installment of "Monday's Memories."  I kind of doubt that, but I told him I'd do it for him.  I started working on some pictures of Westminster Abbey, but after an all-day outing with both children I am too tired to write a post about them.  I will leave you instead with the scene of some significant ship departures.

Southampton

King Henry V led his troops across the Channel to France from this spot long, long ago; the Titanic began her ill-fated voyage from Southampton, but most importantly to us this week, our forefathers boarded a ship called the Mayflower in this port city.  This glorious sunset was actually viewed from Mayflower Park.  

KJ and I made a quick run into Southampton on the third day of our trip.  It was our Jane Austen day, and Miss Austen actually lived in this city a few years with her brother Francis and his wife, Mary.  We made it to the docks just in time for the sunset, and after another wild run across the inlet to peek at Netley Abbey we were on our way again.  So we didn't see a lot here, but I'm glad I got to look out at the water and imagine what it felt like for those people boarding the Mayflower, not knowing what was in store.  I think they were brave to board a ship and leave behind solid ground for so many weeks with no guarantee they would reach their destination.  Happy Thanksgiving, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment