Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What We've Been Doing (and 4th Year re-cap)

KJ has been disconnected from the internet for four days.  Can you imagine?  No, really, can you?  What is the longest stretch you've been without it in the past five years?  I know that when he arrives in-country again on Friday he is going to want to know (and see) what's been going on at home.  Telephone communication has been minimal, as well.  The approximately 24 minutes we've been able to speak to one another on the phone in the past four days has cost us over $50 in calling cards.  Yes, calling cards.  (And used from a pay phone no less!)  So, needless to say, communication has been very cryptic, and we've tried to stick to the main points.  


I took KJ to the airport Thursday morning, and by early Friday afternoon, I was a wreck.  This was mostly, if not entirely, the fault of this little boy who was running rampant through the house.



All morning he was busy doing things he shouldn't, and then, not too long after I sat down at the computer, I heard something hit the ground.  It was him.  He was face down on the floor, and I'm still not entirely sure from whence he fell.  I only know he was climbing.  At first I thought he was okay, but then he climbed up in a chair, and I saw blood trickling from his eye.  I lost it.  I began crying uncontrollably, because KJ was gone, and I didn't know what to do, and James wouldn't be still so I could exam him.  I was finally able to look at him closely enough that I could see it was a cut right next to his eye and not his actual eye that was bleeding.  My nerves were at fever-high pitch, and after talking to his hysterical wife on the phone, unbeknownst to me, KJ called in reinforcements.


I was able to rest my overwrought nerves for a little while, and then David and Hillary arrived and let me go out for a walk.  Then they made dinner, and we watched Tangled, and things felt better.  Much better.  Much, much better. (Name that movie.)

Chicken a la Crescent?
Dinner Success

Dinner truly was a success; it was delicious.  The kids played in the backyard and on the deck, and it was a peaceful end to a day that hadn't started out the best.  Thank you, KJ, for calling in the troops, and thank you, David and Hillary, for keeping me company this week.  My nights would have been lonely without you.  (And here's a summary of Year Four!)

1 comment:

  1. I love you and I love this...I know you are ready to have your husband back:) I wish I lived closer I would have kept you company.

    ReplyDelete