Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Mothers

This Mother's Day, I remember and am thankful for...



  • my mother's voracious love of reading and how surely that had its effect on me.
  • 25-cent Nancy Drew books at the used book store.
  • a mom that let me read Nancy Drew books out loud to her.
  • handmade dresses that appeared like magic in my room on Sunday morning.
  • boundaries...though I may not have liked them at the time.
  • making me wait to get my ears pierced, believing that if you grew up too fast you didn't have anything to look forward to later.
  • making my 12th birthday fun and special.
  • a mom that stayed up finishing my science homework so I could go to bed.
  • someone to remind me to relax when I get too uptight and take myself too seriously.
  • homemade birthday cakes even when we wished for "real" (i.e. store-bought) cakes.
  • help with dioramas. 
  • a handmade wedding veil, even if it only survived the first part of the ceremony.
  • help with my babies.
  • someone who drives two hours just to plant flowers with my girl.
  • someone to give my girl a dollar (or five) every time they part ways.

I'm also thankful for...

  • being completely loved and accepted from the moment KJ spoke my name to you.
  • having a loving and affectionate husband who loves Anne of Green Gables, Andy Griffith, and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers.  (I think we know where he got those traits.)
  • being put on your family cell phone plan before I was even a Pugh so KJ and I could talk freely during a semester apart.
  • my first set of Scripture plates.  I still love them.
  • Marriage 101 e-mails during our first year.
  • free baby-sitting so KJ and I can go on dates.
  • magical memories for my daughter.
  • helping me play the "glad game."
  • Love, love, and more love.
I'm so grateful for your lives.
Your children call you blessed...

and that gives me encouragement that one day
it will "happen to me," too.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully written! You are so blessed to have Teresa Pugh as your "other mother". She's amazing. She invested in me, and is a significant part of who I am today. Take advantage of her wisdom and encouragement! I know you do. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the sweet memories and the even sweeter words. I love you..

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a precious post. Love to each of you ladies. I'm so thankful you are a part of my life, too!

    ReplyDelete