Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Hey, you're pretty."

I have a reputation these days of whipping my camera out for any and every situation.  I can't help it; I love it.  I really love taking pictures.  It's fun.  

But I'm not the only one in our family who does this.  KJ has his own moments as well.  From the earliest days of our marriage, at the seemingly oddest of times, I'd hear, "Hey.  You're pretty.  Let me take your picture."


It feels good to be so loved.


I guess I'm feeling reflective since KJ is away, and we're approaching our anniversary, but I started noticing a difference in the pictures KJ took of me in those moments where he made me feel so loved and cherished as opposed to pictures taken in other moments and by other people.  Maybe there's no fear looking at the one who knows you best and still loves you most.  


At the beginning of our marriage I had a bit of fear when the uglier side of me came out.  What is KJ thinking about the worst parts of me?  Approaching the completion of seven years of marriage, I still don't like having to confess my failings.  I don't want to disappoint my husband.  But there's not a lot of fear.  There's freedom to be found in being honest with one another, or as I have oft-repeated to KJ, in being "real."  We've found the healing that comes from "confessing our sins" (James 5:16).  


I'm so thankful for KJ, so thankful for the faithful way he has loved me the past seven years and for the security and confidence I have in his love.  I can't wait to celebrate with him this weekend.  Most of all, I'm so thankful for the picture KJ's love paints for me of the gospel and the faithful love Christ has for me, a love that makes me beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment