Thursday, September 1, 2011

He restoreth my soul.

Last year I wrote about the events that made September 1 a special day in our family.  Last night and this morning have been so busy the "special-ness" of the date was pushed way back in the farthest corner of my mind.  I was deep in the throes of signing and returning papers for school, overseeing homework, making dinner, and getting everyone to church on time.  

This morning was more of the same:  fixing Ella breakfast, quickly showering her since we weren't able to last night, dressing her, packing her lunch box, and trying to keep a cheerful countenance.  I didn't want my stress flowing on to her.  Unfortunately, my daughter is very perceptive and aware of my moods.  I suppose that comes from a combination of being female and having spent every waking moment with me until 3 weeks ago.  She didn't say anything, but she looked up at me as I was fixing her allergy medicine dose, stood up on her tip-toes, and kissed my cheek.  She's the sweetest girl in the world.  


Then she and KJ were out the door with quick kisses and "I love yous."  James was still asleep, and I sat down with my Bible, feeling overwhelmed by all of the frantic rushing about of the previous night and this morning.  I've been reading through the Psalms, and I had barely got my Bible open when my phone rang.  Ella wanted to tell me her Bible verse she and KJ were working on for school.  "Your word have I hidden in my heart, that I may not sin against You."  "She's happy" (from KJ).  

I picked up my reading where I left off yesterday in Psalm 126.  I read verse 3:

The LORD has done great things for us; we are glad.

I was reminded of what this date meant to KJ and I because this is the verse we chose for our wedding program.  It very perfectly and simply described our relationship.  The Lord had done great things for us, and we were glad.  

3 weeks before our wedding


I read on:

It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep.
Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, 
the fruit of the womb a reward.
- Psalm 127:2-3 -

Is it a coincidence that he mentions "anxious toil" and the need for rest right before he reminds us children are a reward?  It's hard work "building a house," trying to meet each physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual need of your children.  

September 1 marks the beginning of a lifetime commitment, the beginning of Ella's entrance into the world, the beginning of a house "built by the LORD."  I read on in Psalm 128 and hope that this will be the end of our story as well.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands;
you shall be blessed, and it shall be well with you...
your children will be like olive shoots around your table...
May you see your children's children!

The reminder of today's date made me pull out a box of letters from KJ.  Scanning through them made me smile and laugh, remembering the early days of our relationship.  I'm so thankful for my husband, so thankful he chose to love me.  I found a letter that was obviously written after we were married, but otherwise I have no clue when it was penned.  I'll have to instruct KJ to date his missives to me after this.  It encouraged my heart and was the perfect ending to my meditation this morning, making me feel satisfied and content in all the Lord has done for us.

I know you have had a long day with many demands upon you,
but be of good cheer, my love, because we have much in the midst 
of our rushed lives to be thankful for.  Deep peace is our lot in life
because we have been so wondrously provided for by our great Father. 
Stop and think of His good provision for us and let your heart give thanks.
We have no excuse, no matter how busy we are, not to have a happy
and thankful heart...(tender sentiments omitted)... The Lord will
continue to take care of our problems and worries and wants until
the Day we receive our inheritance in glory...I pray that He will give your
soul rest, joy, and fellowship today.

And however many years later, He graciously continues to answer that prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment