Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A Culture of Repentance

KJ and I watched the newest film version of Jane Eyre Saturday night.  When it was over I got the book down to check something I thought they changed at the end of the movie, and once I started reading, remembered just how good the end of that book is.  I love the witty and rich dialogue.  I miss it when it gets left out of movies, but that's why we have books.  

In movies, you miss things like Mr. Rochester's repentance:

"Jane! you think me, I daresay, an irreligious dog:  but my heart swells with gratitude to the beneficent God of this earth just now.  He sees not as man sees, but far clearer:  judges not as man judges, but far more wisely.  I did wrong...I, in my stiff-necked rebellion, almost cursed the dispensation:  instead of bending to the decree, I defied it.  Divine justice pursued its course; disasters came thick on me:  I was forced to pass through the valley of the shadow of death.  His chastisements are mighty; and one smote me which has humbled me for ever."

"I thank my Maker, that in the midst of judgment he has remembered mercy.  I humbly entreat my Redeemer to give me strength to lead henceforth a purer life than I have done hitherto!"


After reading that I was reminded of just how many novels from this time period end with repentance of some vice.  Since I've also been reading about how art reflects cultural worldviews I thought this was interesting.  Here were some examples I thought of:

Sydney Carton in A Tale of Two Cities, "As its silent track in the water disappeared, the prayer that had broken up out of his heart for a merciful consideration of all his poor blindnesses and errors, ended in the words, 'I am the resurrection and the life.'"  

It's one small, little sentence, not a grand speech, but it's there, and I notice it every time.  Sydney Carton is an unsung hero; if you haven't read Dickens' book, you definitely should.  And then you have to re-read it to really get at the depths.  It would also be really nice if someone appropriate would make this into the major epic film it deserves.

This is the most modern make I've seen.
It was pretty good, but I'd like to see something more.

Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice, "I have been a selfish being all my life, in practice, though not in principle.  As a child, I was taught what was right; but I was not taught to correct my temper.  I was given good principles, but left to follow them in pride and conceit."

Speaking of Austen characters, even the cad Willoughby repents of his folly!

Robinson Crusoe, "...I found my heart more deeply and sincerely affected with the wickedness of my past life...I was earnestly begging of God to give me repentance...deliverance from sin [is] a much greater blessing than deliverance from affliction."

I'm sure there are many more examples from the 19th century, but those are the three that came to mind first.  I'll have to think about more modern books I've read to see if repentance is a common motif.  Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment