Thursday, September 15, 2011

I did something crafty!

I'm not a very crafty person.  I don't really do projects involving paint, glue, or fabric...but I'm not opposed to trying and learning from time to time.  The title of this post is a bit too enthusiastic, because what I did wasn't that big of a deal.  It was just a little out of the ordinary for me.


Walmart.com sent me a coupon for a free 11x14 poster, so since it's free, I'm obligated, right?  I decided to get this picture printed:



I was happy with the way it turned out but wasn't satisfied with any frames they had at Wal-Mart.  Nothing worked just right.  They didn't have anything really big that was matted for an 11x14, and I didn't think the picture looked good in a plain black frame with nothing around it; there was too much black.  I had looked around at Target the day before and seen nothing satisfactory, either, and what I was really wishing was that Hobby Lobby could miraculously reappear.  

There was one frame that might have been okay, but it was a little dirty.  After much debating, I had a light-bulb moment.  I bought a plain, cheap, wooden frame for $3 and resolved to paint it.  I wanted something that looked a bit old.  I purchased some "antique white" paint and felt so proud of myself.  

Before
(This looks way more polished in the picture than it did in real life.)

After one coat of paint

Ta-da!

We're going to paint the walls another color (soon?) so it will pop much more.
I really, really loved it.

This was one of my favorite pictures taken after the ceremony,
and it's been in a drawer for 7 years.  

I wanted something a little vintage-y, because I had this idea several months back of turning our little house into something that felt like the cottage the Dashwood sisters moved to in Sense and Sensibility, something a little bit like this.  I love that place.

1 comment: