Wednesday, September 1, 2010

7 Years Ago

The second thing I remember today is that I accepted KJ Pugh's proposal of marriage.  It was the beginning of my last semester at the University of Mobile, and I was 21 years old.  We had just finished Ram Rush (our freshmen orientation week, which I was on the planning committee for), and we had Monday off for Labor Day.  KJ had my ring in his possession and was waiting for the perfect time to propose.  A proposal was the farthest thing from my mind at that point.  I knew that he was the man I wanted to marry, but I had never given any thought to when or where he might propose.  The little thought I had given to it was thinking that he would probably ask me sometime before Christmas because I would be finished with school that semester, while he still had one semester remaining to graduate.  


So our day began with breakfast in the UM cafeteria, which had just been revamped and was now serving made-to-order omelets.  I thought my omelet didn't taste quite all the way cooked, but unfortunately, I did not heed my taste buds' warnings and ate on my merry way.  The result was feeling a bit sick for a little while later in the dorm.  KJ and I tossed around ideas for the day.  I'm not sure if he was thinking he would propose that day or not.  Perhaps he was and was still trying to think of the perfect place.  I suggested going to the beach, and I have since heard him say that at that point, he thought he would allow me to choose what we did that day so that I would think I was in control.  Meanwhile he would be manipulating events to his advantage.  So, I planned a day for us at the beach.  We would go to Dauphin Island.  KJ agreed and planned a time for leaving.  I think he was making some finishing touches on a poem he was writing for me.  


When we arrived at Dauphin Island it was extremely crowded (seeing as how it was Labor Day).  Neither one of us wanted to sit amongst the noisy throng, so I suggested we take the ferry across the bay to Gulf Shores.  Again, KJ allowed me to take the lead in planning, all the while rejoicing things were working out so nicely for him.  It was a glorious day.  This was probably our third time to take the ferry across from Dauphin Island.  It was actually one of the first all-day trips we made together.  Once we made it across we drove to one of the private beaches (that you are not really supposed to trespass on, but the privacy sure is nice.).  We spent the afternoon reading, doing some homework and talking.  We had a sweet time of prayer together.  I remember looking at KJ and feeling so in love with him.  Then, he told me that the sun was supposed to set at 7:16, and he wanted to read me something.  I thought that was really sweet but didn't suspect anything abnormal.  He made me sit where I could watch the sunset and he could see my face and read me a poem he had written chronicling the different stages of our relationship.  The last two lines read, "If this you can say and say with delight, then say, my love, you'll be my wife tonight." 


I was completely and utterly shocked as I watched him get down on one knee and pull a ring box out of his pocket.  Totally blown away.  I had three responses:  First, "Are you kidding?"  Now, obviously, he wouldn't be kidding, but I really was so surprised.  This was not on my radar at all.  Second, "Have you talked to my parents?"  Maybe that sounds crazy, but my parents didn't really allow me to date as a teenager, and I had just been trained not to make major decisions without receiving their permission first.  Old habits die hard.  KJ patiently answered that yes, he had talked to my parents.  Third, "Yes!"  And then he kissed me (for the first time...and the second...).  And writing that sentence put a song in my head.  




  

2 comments: