Sunday, April 18, 2010

Six whole days until Sunday comes around again

Have you ever seen the Disney movie, Pollyanna?  It is one that I always enjoyed watching as a child, and it has provided our family with much enjoyment and great quotations.  The people in Pollyanna's  town hate Sundays because their pastor tries to scare them into behaving during the week with sermons about God's wrath and eternal damnation.  The chandelier trembles and the people leave church sweating every week after their preacher "sermonizes something fierce."  Pollyanna, who tries to find something to be glad about in every bad situation, can only find one thing to be glad about on Sunday, and that is that "it will be six whole days before Sunday comes around again."

That has been my attitude toward Sundays since James has been born because it is so very difficult to plan out nap times and feeding times and work everything out to get there on time (or even at all).  I'm the only person who can feed my son, and I am used to being his 24-hour caregiver at home, so it is really hard for me to put him in a position where I know he'll be tired or uncomfortable.  James is starting to stay awake for longer periods now and going longer between feedings, so it is getting easier to get out and about, but it is still hard to get out on another schedule besides our own.

The Lord was so gracious this morning, though.  I was able to get ready before James woke up, so the timing was perfect.  I was EARLY for Sunday School.  That is a really big deal, especially when you consider the fact that KJ had to be at church early, so I got the kids up and dressed all by myself.  I was very thankful to be there today.  If I get any more Sundays like this, I might actually look forward to Sundays again.

Pollyanna Quotes
Aunt Polly Harrington: He said you only have the congregation for one short hour a week. And there are six long days of mischief for them before you get them again. Reverend Ford: Ah! I see your point. Strike hard on Sunday the excessiveness of God's wrath and hope they carry it with them through the week!


Don't tell anyone.......but it's wonderful to be so rich, isn't it! 


Death comes unexpectedly!


POLLYANNA: There are eight hundred happy texts, did you know that? 
REVEREND: No, I didn't know that. 
POLLYANNA: Yes, well there are. And do you know, my father said that if God took the trouble to tell us eight hundred times to be glad and rejoice, He must have wanted us to do it.


Read the book!  Pollyanna by Eleanor H. Porter




 

No comments:

Post a Comment