Monday, December 5, 2011

Monday's Memories (along with some book talk)

I stumbled upon a book in the "New Releases" section of the library last week that I am really enjoying.  Surprised by Oxford can probably best be described by a phrase I read last night:

"I breathed over the problem with looking for God at Oxford,
or with God looking for me at Oxford."

This memoir tells the story of how the author comes to Christ during the time of her graduate studies at Oxford.  I just realized this morning how she is mirroring C.S. Lewis' own autobiography, Surprised by Joy.  That is a fitting reflection as Carolyn Weber describes her journey as an agnostic who had never really heard the gospel before her first year in Oxford.  I'm almost halfway through the book and really enjoying it.  It is a beautiful thing to "see" God's pursuit of a person separated from Him.  Combine that with a glimpse into the world of the study of literature at Oxford, and of course I am riveted and wishing I could do the same.  

I loved Weber's description of her first experience with British road signs.  I love British road signs.

"After the impersonal terseness of American construction signs
that say only Bump or that illustrate with simple lines how a road
is about to change course, British signs seem positively loquacious,
a little quirky but far more cordial.  As we finally entered the parking
lot to Stonehenge and approached an impending pothole that stretched
like a moat in front of our car, the first sign cautioned us to Mind the Gap.
When we left, the exiting sign warned us of Changed Priorities Ahead."

I wrote about how we visited Oxford on Matriculation Day.  We didn't really know exactly what was going on, so it was nice to now have an explanation.

"Matriculation, from the Latin matricula, meaning 'a roll,' marks the passage of becoming a lifelong member of an Oxford College, and so, by extension, the University.  Those who are beginning their studies at Oxford gather in the required subfusc, or the black-and-white formal wear donned beneath the academic regalia appropriate to their current academic status and program.  Thus arrayed, incoming students proceed, according to college, to the common ceremony at the Sheldonian Theatre, where, in short, they take an age-old oath to respect one another, the institution, and the high call of learning, along with the promise not to start fires in library holdings.  Appropriately extinguished and distinguished, they return to their individual colleges to celebrate."

And now I understand.  I could see and hear a group of students at one of the colleges singing and celebrating from my perch atop St. Mary's tower.  There was definitely a lot of excitement in the air.  Did you know that after our four years of seminary, KJ discovered he could have gotten a Master's at Oxford in nine months?  That was sad.  What a wonderful start to our marriage that would have been.  I'm glad I got to spend a day there, nonetheless.

When I first saw the panorama on website for Surprised by Oxford I thought I had the same shot, but after looking at my pictures I think it's taken from the other direction and from a different tower.  There are certainly no shortage of "dreaming spires" to take a picture from in Oxford.






The East View

No comments:

Post a Comment