Friday, December 30, 2011

Friday's Flashback: By the Sea

We left the Royal Pavilion about lunchtime on Wednesday, stepping into weather that was alternating between a drizzle and the sun peeking out behind the clouds.  I suppose that's typical for England.  We walked back to our car discussing the various lunch options we were passing.  I was all for stepping into a little pub and having some Irish Stew or something else traditional and warm, while KJ was eyeing the Japanese place.  Japanese?  On our second day in England?  Our first day we had dined at Pizza Hut and Subway, so I was ready for something a bit more British.

Since we couldn't quite agree, and I was worried about the time running out on the parking meter we decided to go ahead and find the oh so famous Brighton beach.  And there we found the perfect option for lunch by the sea on the boardwalk.

Fish and Chips
This was British enough for me and tasty enough for KJ.


Brighton in the summer stays crowded with people lounging on chairs on the rocky beach, but we had the place pretty much to ourselves.  I could smell/sense/taste? the salt in the air, and I wondered what sea-bathing would have been like for Lydia Bennet.

You can see what kind of day it was.
Blue skies, followed by gray skies, followed by the rain quickening up
and us deciding we couldn't risk my camera getting wet.


So we gathered a few rocks and shells to take home and 
hurried to the car and the adventures that awaited at Arundel Castle.


There is one more memory I have of Brighton...their public restrooms.  They were so kid friendly.  My mommy brain couldn't help but register the brightly painted stalls with small toilets and the changing tables.  I'm sure it's because they're outfitted for all the beach-goers.  Also, Brighton was the first place I got to pull a chain to flush the toilet.  These are the important memories, folks. :) 

3 comments:

  1. I love the pictures and your important memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that a ferris wheel and did you ride it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a ferris wheel, but no, we didn't ride it. I'm not even sure if it was open. We didn't walk down that far but just enjoyed the view and the ocean before it started raining.

    ReplyDelete