Saturday, December 24, 2011

Friday's Flashback: The Royal Pavilion

Once we picked up our car Wednesday morning, we took the A23 to Brighton.  My main reason for wanting to visit Brighton stems from Pride and Prejudice.  Granted, it was the scene of much immorality, both in the book and in real life, but I always hear the BBC Lydia Bennet whine in my head, "Oh, I long to go to Brighton!"  I also hear Mrs. Bennet chime in, saying, "A little sea-bathing would set me up forever."  And so to Brighton we did go.  


I knew from various books that the Royal Pavilion was the home of the Prince Regent and that he spent his time seeking pleasure in all the usual places.  He was the son of King George III (who received that famous letter from our founding fathers and later went mad).  He was called the Prince Regent because his father was was still living when it became clear he was incapable of ruling, so he ruled the country as Regent until his father's death when he was crowned King George IV.  

The Pavilion is lavishly decorated in various styles.  The long room near the entrance had a Chinese motif.  I remember thinking as we walked through that it was sad what happened to a man when he had nothing to do.  The Prince built this palace in the years before he was crowned Regent and spent his time becoming an "expert" on decor, fashion, food, drink, and women.  And for what?  At the end of his life he stopped throwing lavish parties because he had grown so large, and his health had deteriorated from his life of excess.  It seemed rather empty.

We weren't allowed to take pictures inside, but here are the things I want to remember:

  • The long Chinese hall with the twin staircases
  • The French students  We caught the end of their guide's talks as we walked through the palace.  
  • The Kitchens  The kitchen really was innovative for the time period.  The prince liked his food, and he made sure he had the latest technology.  He had a spit that turned by itself over the fire.  The room was huge with a stone floor and lots of "counter" space.
  • The ballroom  This room had deep carpet that the slipper-clad feet of ladies would have sunk into.
  • The servant's hall  The servants had their own hall way that connected to various rooms so that guests wouldn't see them.  There were a lot of hidden and disguised entrances to the rooms used for entertaining.
  • The bedroom King George IV used at the end of his life  Even then the Brits separated the toilet from the bath tub.  There was a concealed door beside the bed with a toilet, and his bathroom had water from the ocean pumped into the tub.  It was supposed to be healthful.

The second floor had a tearoom where I was able to procure a Diet Coke.  Praise be!  My English tea had not the caffeine strength I'm accustomed to in the morning.  We were also able to walk out the french doors to this stone parapet.  I think there was a man playing what seemed to be Jamaican island music out on the lawn for a group of school children?  

I think this was our first time to set up the tripod on our trip.

I'm just remembering the dining room and its magnificent chandelier.  
I wish I could show it to you, but I suppose you'll have to use your imagination.
It was fit for a palace.


My favorite part might have been a painting of Queen Victoria sailing into Brighton.  It was beautiful.  They had an exhibit dedicated to her Majesty there, and I enjoyed what I read about her.  I think I remember that she, Albert, and their several children spent a good bit of time there periodically. She had to convert a lot of the rooms into bedrooms for her children.

 It was also interesting to learn that the Pavilion was used as a hospital for Indian soldiers during the first World War.  

Little bits of information like that are popping in and out of my  head now.
This isn't a complete history lesson about the Royal Pavilion,
but I'll wager you know a little bit more now than you did before.

* * *
One more thing!
They had the coronation robe of King George IV.
Can you imagine? 
That is OLD.

But not that old for England, I suppose.


* * *
KJ suggested I leave you with a link of images from the Pavilion.
You can see the dining room after all!


I love seeing the old photographs paintings of a place I've been.

2 comments:

  1. It's so late, and I must retire. I hope to come back and read your account; however, I HAD to comment on the fabulous photos ~ seriously, England looks GREAT on you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks, Katie. I liked it rather well.

    ReplyDelete