Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Great Outdoors and My Camera

Yesterday was the first sunny day we've had since I got my new camera. I was so excited to go out and start snapping pictures in all that wonderful sunshine.  Are there any other free-spirited mothers out there who used to say, "Hey, I want to go to the beach." And then you would grab a book and your car keys and head out the door? That's the kind of girl I was in college.  (Thank you, Dad, for paying for my gas.) But now I think to myself, "I want to go outside somewhere nice today. How about that state park I've never been to that's right up the road from my house?" Then, I dress the kids, change diapers, shower and dress, pack up snacks and drinks and diapers and wipes and extra bibs, grab my purse and my camera, and THEN we head out the door. Whew. It almost makes it not worth it. Almost. 


So we drive out to a playground surrounded by a lake sparkling in the sunshine, and I strap James in the baby swing, and he is delighted, and I turn on my camera, and the screen displays this message: "No Card in Camera." Are you kidding me? I left my card in the computer last night. I was so sad. And it wasn't like I could just turn around and go get it; I'd already paid my $3 entrance fee. But THANKFULLY, that is not where this story ends. In the one little square of earth where my phone had reception, I called Hillary who happens to be in town and has a key to my house, and she and her friend, David, so graciously brought me the object of my desire. Aren't you glad they did?



I don't think they were too sorry that they made the trip out.  It was a beautiful day.  We were also joined by another friend who really loves playing with my kids.  I was thankful yesterday for God's providence; I would not have stayed nearly as long or been able to let James run around as much without extra hands on deck.  It would have been no where near as pleasant as yesterday afternoon was.



And it was really pleasant.



Reading some news last night made me remember that not everyone had a pleasant day yesterday.  My thankfulness was multiplied.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, my goodness, I lo-o-ove that picture of Ella!!! Beautiful girl! Glad y'all had a great day!

    ReplyDelete