Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day by Day

Yesterday I was preparing to teach a Bible study about the way we spend our time to a group of college girls, so the topic of discipline was on my mind again.  And I was thinking that I really should go back to my old discipline of meeting with the Lord first thing in the morning.  I at least need a few minutes to get my head on straight before the day begins.  Mothering feels very constant these days because James has reached a point of needing constant direction for his day just as Ella does.  If I'm not coming up with something for him to do, he's finding plenty to do on his own, such as throwing away various and sundry items, losing the tops to his sippy cups (Where are those things???), flushing toilets, ordering pay-per-view, etc.  

So, I thought about how that was something I should do, but by bedtime I had totally forgotten about it.  But the Lord was kind, and I woke on my own at 6:43 and was able to check my e-mail, drink my Diet Mountain Dew, and read in peace.  James was stirring by 7:06, and Ella came out of her room at 7:30, but it was enough.  I wish it could have been longer, but it was enough.  Maybe I'll remember to set my alarm tonight.  

P.S.  I just looked down at the open page on my Bible, because I thought I might share something I read this morning, and my eye fell on this:

Awake, sleeper,
And arise from the dead,
And Christ will shine on you.

HA! If that's not a promise about the blessings of rising to meet with the Lord, I don't know what is.  

He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day what He deems best--
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

-Caroline Sandell-Berg-

No comments:

Post a Comment