Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Best Maker of All Marriages


Yesterday was a long day.  It's a good thing I started off with Bible reading.  Whew.  Constant is just a really good word to describe what life is like for me these days.  Some days I handle the constant round of diaper changing, nose-wiping, drink-fixing, meal-making, cleaning up the toys, and then cleaning up the toys again, better than others.  And by handle it, I mean handle it better emotionally.  My outward behavior is probably not too different on days like yesterday, but inside I am barely hanging on to my sanity, mostly from the lack of one moment of solitude. I took a moment yesterday to make myself think logically (shocker), and I thought, "Okay, what are my other options here?"  Actually, I said, "How did I end up here?"  Answer:  I fell in love and got married.  Oh.  Okay.  Well, what if that had not happened.  Where would I be?  Working somewhere, wanting to fall in love and get married.  Well, then.

What if I lived anywhere else in the world or at any other time in history?  Misery.  So, why am I complaining?  And truly, to me sharing the trials of the day doesn't really fall under the category of complaining.  It's simply sharing the trials of the day, knowing that I am not alone in them.  

When both children were tucked in their beds last night, I pulled up a group of e-mails sent across the mysterious lines of the internet way back in the summer of 2002 and remembered how I ended up in the season of life I now find myself.  After reading just one letter from KJ written from China, I had a smile on my face.  And as we tucked our own selves in bed, I said, "Sometimes I think I just got really lucky.  I didn't know how good I was getting it when I got you."  I didn't know what I was getting, but the best maker of all marriages did.  And I'm so thankful.

June 2002
The last time I saw KJ before he left for China
I would say this was the beginning, but the wheels had been set in motion long before that day.  I love that man.

No comments:

Post a Comment