Friday, May 3, 2013

Franco Fridays: The Adventure Begins

Today is the day.  The suitcases are all packed, waiting for a few extra add-ons.  I think the only big thing left to do is decide which bag to carry-on the plane and what will go in it.  I can hardly believe we got it all done.  I haven't slept much the past two nights.  Wednesday night's sleeplessness was a result of an allergy attack (I think...it might be a cold.)  This morning I woke up at 5:15 for no good reason.  Does your body subconsciously know you have a lot to do?  It is just as well that I woke early, because James got up at 5:45.  This is way too early for him, but perhaps he will fall asleep on the way to the airport or to my parents' house.  He could use a nap.

Speaking of James, I think he finally has some comprehension of what is going on.  He's been so confused listening to our talk about him going to Debbo's house, to T's house, and to the Lake.  He asked every 30 minutes yesterday if it was time to go to the lake now.  Bless him.  I love those children of mine.  I soaked in and enjoyed their sweetness yesterday, James' little-boy legs, speckled with bruises; Ella's beautiful brown eyes and dark lashes. 

It's not easy to leave them, but I entrust them to the Lord...and to their grandparents.  They're both very excited about the adventure that awaits them.  That helps me be okay.  Last night we had family time and as KJ was telling the kids how much we loved them he asked Ella if she knew why we were going.  "To share the gospel," she said.  Yes.  Please pray for us as we do, and pray for our children while we are apart.

And to share a quote from James, he gave a very theologically astute answer at lunch yesterday.  He learned a verse for Cubbies this week:  "Your word is true from the beginning."  Sometimes long sentences are hard for him, and the little connecting words get lost.  KJ asked him at lunch yesterday if he remembered his verse.  James said, "From the beginning."  "What's from the beginning, James?" I asked.  "God."  Good answer.  You are more right than you know, little boy.

Last night as we packed KJ said, "Hey, I'm taking you to Paris tomorrow.  Did you ever think you'd go to Paris?"  No, I never did.  Sometimes KJ will ask me what I thought it would be like being married to a pastor, and truthfully, I never gave it much thought before I married him.  Should I have?  Being the daughter of a pastor, it wasn't a strange thing to me.  And the Lord has been kind, so very, very, gracious, in giving us every good thing to enjoy.

"All the thrill of boyhood dreams came on me just now
outside, watching the sky die in the sea on every side.
I wanted to sail when I was in grammar school,
and well remember memorizing the names of the
sails from the Merriam-Webster's ponderous dictionary
in the library.  Now I am actually at sea--as a passenger,
of course, but at sea nevertheless--and bound for Ecuador.
Strange--or is it?--that childish hopes should be 
answered in the will of God for this now?"
- Jim Elliot, Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot - 

"Hast thou not seen how thy desires e'er have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?"
- Praise to the Lord, the Almighty -            

1 comment: