Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Story of Redemption


Last Saturday found me recovering from being sick all week and preparing for KJ to leave for Haiti so I didn't join Leslie in "Finding Delight."  I wanted to re-join her this week, though, because I think it is a good discipline  for me to sit and think about the things I read in God's Word over the past week.  

First, I took great delight in reading through 2 Thessalonians one day.  I love words. And there were so many good, strong, faith-building words in this short little book.  I especially took delight in the joy that is to come to us "...when he comes on that day to be glorified in his saints, and to be marveled at among all who have believed...".  It brought great joy to my heart to think about just how much "marveling" we'll be doing on that day, marveling that we are there by His grace, being accepted, welcomed, and loved by Him, and seeing Him face to face.  What a day of unending delights that will be.

I also read the book of Ruth this week.  It's such a beautiful story.  It's beautiful in the way that Boaz reflects God's character and the redemption He's given us.  With KJ gone, it has been a week where I've thought about marriage, and I am so grateful for all that it represents, all that it means, and the ways it has enabled me to see and understand God's love for me.  

Ruth found "favor" in the eyes of Boaz, and I loosely interpret that to incorporate delight.  I must confess that I also found much to laugh at as I read.  Naomi was reminding me just a little bit of Mrs. Bennet in Pride and Prejudice with all her instructions to Ruth.  "Wash therefore and anoint yourself, and put on your cloak and go down to the threshing floor, but do not make yourself known to the man until he has finished eating and drinking."  Boaz is a lot like an Austen hero, older, wealthy, honorable, and noble.  

The LORD repay you for what you have done, and a full reward be given you by the LORD, the God of Israel, under whose wings you have come to take refuge!  (Ruth 2:12)

Spread your wings over your servant, for you are a redeemer. (Ruth 3:9b)

I remember Naomi's words to Ruth at the beginning of the book resonating with me when I was in college, and I thought about them this week as I read, too.  "The LORD grant that you may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband!"  Isn't rest what we long for?  A place of refuge, provision, acceptance, and love?  I'm thankful for finding that rest with KJ and thankful for the wealth of rest I find in Christ, under whose wings I have come to take refuge.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, Lynn. The perfect comparison of Naomi to Mrs. Bennet made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Leslie. :) Thank you, again, for arranging childcare for James tonight. I enjoyed our share time so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice post Lynn. Love the likeness you made of Mrs. Bennet to Naomi - I never would've thought of that, but since you mentioned it.... :) - and I too am thankful and delight in the rest we have in our lovely Jesus. It's so nice to meet you. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete