Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday's Flashback: The Streets of Arundel

I realize I am blogging my way oh so slowly through our trip.  The truth is that I am blogging at the pace that I have time to edit pictures; therefore, it is sometimes slow-going.  

I showed you the lovely door that led into the castle garden.  Here's KJ strolling by the ever-present English hedge.  I love those hedges, though they do prevent you from having a place to pull over whilst driving through the countryside.


I shared the picture of our first glimpse of the castle while we were on our trip, but I'll share it again.  We were still pretty far away, but it filled the camera frame and was amazing.  Parts of this castle have been around since William the Conqueror.  This is a super-old place.

I really love this picture. 
It looks so stately and majestic, defending the village.

According to KJ's research, William the Conqueror gave this land to one of his nobleman on the condition that he build a castle to defend it.  The nobleman delivered.

These pictures just look like paintings to me.  How could such a place be real?

There are no "Yield" signs in England.

another doorway 

the High Street

I'm glad I took this picture of KJ walking down the High Street to the castle.  We got a little sidetracked (okay, I got a little sidetracked) at this point because there was this little used book store (except they like to call them antiquarian or something sophisticated like that) that I couldn't resist.  Like so many of the stores we went into, they are tall and narrow, so little winding staircases just keep appearing, and you keep climbing up and up.  

I bought an old copy of all the works of William Cowper and an Anne book for my mom.  There were so many books I would have liked to buy there, but KJ made me wait until we got to Wales and the town of books.  Our side trip into the bookstore only gave us an hour and a half to walk through the castle and grounds, which was really pushing it.  But I don't regret it.  My only regret is I didn't take a picture of that little bookstore...

No comments:

Post a Comment