Sunday, August 28, 2011

A somewhat stream of consciousness early morning blog post

Early.  I woke up way too early this morning.  But I knew there was small chance of me going back to sleep so I'm just embracing it.  You know, before I had children I never had any trouble sleeping.  I went to sleep at night and knew nothing until morning.  I slept 8 or 9 hours each night, and the only time I ever got less was if I had a research paper due in college.  


Since having children, my sleep patterns are very erratic.  I think it's because if I ever woke up early before, I could go back to sleep.  There were no responsibilities waiting for me.  But now I know that my children could be awake at anytime so why waste time lying in bed for 30 minutes when I can go ahead and be up and ready for them?  


Last night started out normally; we went to bed on time, but a late-night phone call informed us KJ's father had a virus, and KJ would have to preach this morning.  That news left him kind of awake for a while thinking about what he would do, which had me sleeping fitfully as well.  You would think I would sleep later since I went to sleep later.  Nope. Good morning 5:45 a.m.  


I can't believe it is August 28!  This month has gone by so quickly.  Five years ago today it was Ella's due date.  I was waiting, wondering what labor would feel like, worrying that I would somehow mess up knowing the right time to go to the hospital, with no way to fathom how our lives were about to change.  The sweet girl didn't come today, though.  She waited, and after one more trip to the doctor, we made plans for me to have labor induced on September 1.  


Where did that little family go?

It will be an exciting week around here, with lots of birthday preparations.  Ella has stuck to her guns about having a "surprise" birthday party.  Whenever I discuss plans with KJ, she covers her ears.  She doesn't want a preview of her birthday dvd, and she doesn't want to see party invitations.  I am starting to feel a bit pressured by her expectation.  :)  I remember at her party last year, she was drinking the sweet tea I made and said, "This tea is perfect."  That's what I'm going for again this year.  Perfection in her little 5-year-old imagination.  

And now that I'm sufficiently awake, I think a little Bible-reading is in order before the troops get out of bed.

3 comments:

  1. You're such a great writer, my sister. I just love reading your thoughts put into words. Thanks for the reminder that this was Ella's actual due date! Sweet girl. I'm so thankful we were able to be near you during that precious time. Oh, and I'm sure the party will be just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and - OF COURSE! - a special thanks, again, to K.J. for coming to the rescue. Mom and Dad are both pitiful. Praying yesterday's encounter didn't doom you and yours :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post! Ella's birthday will be perfect, I'm sure. Your comment about erratic sleep makes me a little nervous for if parenting days ever come for us. I knew that happened when they were itty bitty, but I've been expecting my normal 8-9 hours once they're older. I guess I'll just pray for children who love sleep! ;-)

    ReplyDelete