Friday, August 12, 2011

New Things

KJ asked me last night how I felt about the new state of things around here.  Yesterday was only the second full day of my being home with just James and Ella being gone most of the day, so it was hard to give a full assessment, but here are my observations so far:

  1. Ella seems to be doing great.  It will be good to have the whole day with her tomorrow.  It's hard to know how she's doing when I haven't had much time with her.  She's had a lot of activity the past couple of days, playing with her cousin after school (Yea!).  KJ has walked up the hill during her lunch time to ask her about her day, and both times she's been excited and happy and making new friends.  
  2. God has been gracious to give peace.  I've been very glad to see her face when my girl comes in the door, but I haven't been worried about her.  I've taken my anxieties to the Lord in prayer, and He has given His peace.  Yesterday I read, "He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.  His heart is steady; he will not be afraid" (Psalm 112:7-8a).  
  3. I do have more time to think.  Solitude of the mind is a little more accessible, and I actually am completely alone when James takes his nap.  Normally my only alone time is a trip to the grocery store, so this is nice.
  4. The day is longer and more productive.  I feel busier in some ways even though I have one less child at home.  The day starts earlier, and I am trying to accomplish a lot of things by the time KJ brings Ella home in the afternoon.  There are also a lot of things to be taken care of at night to get Ella in bed on time, picking out the next day's clothes, washing and cleaning out lunch box supplies, and washing and drying her hair.
  5. I have more time to edit pictures.  This has been good because I've had a lot I was working on for people and for myself.
  6. I have more time to be active.  Yesterday I walked 3 miles, did half of P90X's Chest and Back, and cut the grass in the front yard.  That felt good.
What has James been up to during his alone time with Mom?  Well, the first day, I tried to engage him in some learning play time in his room, but he ran to the television to turn it on, so I caved and let him.
He seemed so happy and content watching Dora that I went ahead and cleaned up the kitchen.  Yesterday I opened the patio door to clean the glass on the outside of it.  It was raining lightly at the time, and James ran out and climbed in the rocking chair.  He loves to rock, and he's never tried to go out in the rain before, so I let him rock away while I cleaned.  My boy has gotten a little more adventurous lately, though, and as the rain started to fall harder, he ventured out in the yard.  He laughed wildly and got completely soaked and had the time of his life.


So I guess that so far, the change in schedule is going well.  I feel Ella's absence in my heart, but I feel good about where she is and what she's doing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment