Monday, November 22, 2010

Weekend Fun

The title of this blog post is pretty self-explanatory.  It has been a very fun weekend.  Once again, I am so thankful for all the precious people and members of the body of Christ God has placed in our lives.  I am thankful first for Hannah, a teenager in our church who shares my fondness for Jane Austen (actually, I think it might have been me who introduced her to Jane Austen in a book club at school) who babysat Ella and James for us so we could go out Friday afternoon and evening.  KJ and I went to a matinée showing of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.  It was really good.  I think this last book is my favorite book, and these last two movies are going to be my favorite.  It was the first time in a while they have had plenty of time to develop the story and not just fly along, and I really enjoyed it.  
Me and my hot date

KJ and I did have a dispute on the drive home about a technical point in the movie.  Today we found out that he was correct.  Of course.  I did not begrudge his correctness, and he did not rub it in too much.  Thank you, Hannah, for keeping our kids!

We had a really nice day Saturday welcoming a couple of old college friends to our home.  Justin and Chandra went to UM with us and have recently returned from serving in India.  They have three precious little girls who I have enjoyed seeing pictures of for so long and finally got to meet today.  They were so sweet to Ella, and Ella was so sweet sharing her toys.  It was so much fun watching our kids play together.  I wish Ella could have such dear playmates every day.  The day was beautiful and mild, and the kids really enjoyed the backyard.


Chasing the balloons (still afloat from James' birthday)
was a big attraction.

Madelyn was so sweet to Ella.
They were pretending to be sisters.

James would have no part of a couch picture, so here are all the girls:
Elizabeth, Ella, Catharine, and Madelyn

Ella did a great job getting a shot of the 4 of us.

It was a really good day of catching up with each other, and I hope there will be more days like it in our future!  I took a walk around our neighborhood in the evening and was surprised to see a beautiful full moon already out just before sunset.  For those of you who have known me for a while, I have always loved the moon and tried so many times to capture it on film back in the day.  I've never had a camera that's been up to the task until now.  I was so excited.



Today has been such a wonderful day of being "washed in the water of the Word" so to speak.  KJ preached this morning since his father is still in Uganda, and I had the pleasure of being in his Sunday School class as well.  I could write a whole post about all the thoughts stirred from his teaching and interacting with the text today.  KJ has become one of my favorite (might I say favorite?) preachers/teachers.  I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that I know him so well and understand the way he thinks (much better than I used to do!), but he truly is such an amazing teacher.  I love walking through the Word with him.  

We had a sweet time of fellowship after church with David, Katie, John David, and my brother, Judson.  I'm so glad they joined us for lunch!  David preached tonight, and again, it was so good.  Something he said in passing tonight sparked an idea for a series of blog posts this week.  I wanted to write about things I was thankful for, and David gave me a great idea of how to focus those thoughts.  He was preaching from Psalm 103 and talking about all we have to be praise God for in looking back over past blessings, at His present mercies, and His future promises.  I thought that was a great way to divide my life and meditate on God's many kindnesses to me.  With such bounty, I should not complain.  So, I look forward to meditating on those things this week.  I hope you'll join with me in praising God for the many benefits He has bestowed upon us.

4 comments:

  1. Where's that Lamppost picture?

    Also, that was kind of KJ. It makes me feel better knowing he didn't rub it in too much.

    Hey....5 Days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sad (funny now, though, 15 years later) story that involves a movie dispute between Karl and me. He didn't rub it in too much, either, but I couldn't take being wrong so well at the time. Glad you enjoyed the movie! I hope Karl and I get to see it soonish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a special affinity for the nighttime sky, too. I love looking at the moon & stars. We were very blessed by K.J.'s teaching this entire week. There is nothing like feasting on God's Word! We've appreciated his labor on our behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh lynn, i do love you so! i wish i could come along for moonlit walks.

    ReplyDelete