Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Highlights from Tuesday

I had the opportunity to go with KJ to the Alabama Baptist State Convention at Hunter Street Baptist Church yesterday.  It was fun to spend the day with him and educational to observe how things work at a convention.  But the best part by far was reconnecting with people from our University of Mobile days.  So without further ado, highlights from my Tuesday...



  • Reading Randy Alcorn's Heaven aloud to KJ in the car - I really love this book and have been wanting to share it with KJ for a really long time now.  I started reading it to him a few nights ago, and since he was a captive audience in the car yesterday morning I read a couple of chapters.  Favorite part from yesterday?  Well, it would be a toss-up between this dialogue from Peter Jackson's The Return of the King:
Pippin: "I didn't think it would end this way..."
Gandalf:  "End?  No, the journey doesn't end here.  Death is just another path...one that we all must take.  The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all change to silver glass...and then you see it."
Pippin:  "What?  Gandalf?  See what?"
Gandalf:  "White shores...and beyond.  The far green country under a swift sunrise."
Pippin:  "Well, that isn't so bad."
Gandalf:  "No...no, it isn't."

AND 

"Jesus says of anyone who would be his disciple, 'My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him' (John 14:23).  This is a picture of God's ultimate plan---not to take us up to live in a realm made for him, but to come down and live with us in the realm he made for us."

I stopped reading a couple of times and said to KJ, "Why?  Why would He want to do this?"  It is amazing.  God is so gracious.

  • Conversing with Dr. Cecil Taylor - Dr. Taylor is the Dean of the School of Christian Studies at the University of Mobile and a former professor of KJ and myself.  KJ has also had the opportunity of going to Brazil the past two summers with Dr. Taylor.  He also leads a trip to Wales every year, and he gave KJ and I a tip about a small town in England filled with used bookstores.  (KJ and I are still contemplating a trip next year.)
  • Visiting with old UM friends - I got to visit with Hali, who started UM the same year I did and now works there.  We also chatted with Wesley.
  • Hugging the necks of the Baldwins! - Jamie and Beth are the parents of my old roomie, Joy, and have opened their home, baked me bread, and loved on me in those old college days of yore.  It was so good to see them.
  • Talking with Dr. Mark Foley - Dr. Foley is the president of the University of Mobile, and it was good to visit with him.  I can't speak highly enough about a place where the president remembers students who graduated 6 years ago!  I'm so thankful for my time at UM and for the body of Christ who so impacted my life while I was there.  
  • Seeing KJ connect with Twitter friends - I'm not sure why this is a highlight for me except that it gave me joy to see KJ having fun.  I'm glad he had the chance to put faces with names of other young ministers across the state.
  • Shopping at the Galleria - I had a good time browsing through Christmas sales  while KJ had lunch with some other men.  I can't believe it's that time of the year again!
  • Visiting with Leslie - Leslie is a member of our church who came as well.  It was fun getting to hang with her, discussing books and the things we didn't understand about the convention.  I'm really glad she came.
  • Browsing the Hunter Street bookstore - That place really had an amazing selection and great prices!  
I was pretty beat by the time we got home, but it was an enjoyable day out.  We were greeted by our children and T, who said Ella and James exhibited exemplary behavior all day; however, as soon as I came in the door James began walking around whining and didn't stop until we put him to bed.  KJ surmised that he just wanted my attention.  This morning James woke up with a horrible, green snotty nose, so I guess we're staying in today, unless it's to go out and buy more allergy medicine.  Hopefully it will be a productive day because I certainy need a day like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment