Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Past Blessings

Wow.  I really have no idea where to begin in pondering all the many past blessings God has bestowed on me.  They are innumerable, but I guess I will start making a list at random that will probably include things I have been thinking about most of late.  I'm sure it will be filled with blessings great and small.  Let the thankfulness begin!


Growing up with the Gospel- This would probably be one of the biggest blessings, besides being granted grace and faith to believe.  In a world where so many people live and die without hearing the good news that God loved us and sent His Son, I'm thankful for having heard it at home and at church from the beginning of my life.


My gospel-preaching father and I



Godly parents who set boundaries- Now that I've begun the parenting journey for myself I feel able to appreciate what my parents went through with me more.  Parenting is a tough job, and it is hard to know for sure if you're doing what is right.  I'm so thankful for tough and tender parenting even when I didn't like it or understand it at the time.  


Good friends- When I talk with other people, I realize how I've taken the gift of good friends for granted throughout my life.  I'm so thankful for having good and godly friends from elementary school through college and for all the laughter and growth that came from those friendships.



Piano lessons- I'm thankful my parents let me take and wouldn't let me quit during the couple of seasons I wanted to.  I'm glad to be able to play for enjoyment now.

My piano teacher, Mrs. June, and I at a lesson
where we happened to dress alike


A love of reading- I'm thankful for whatever combination of my own personality and the nurture of growing up watching my mother read constantly that made me an early lover of books.  I see now the fruit of good reading skills in a lot of ways.



Education- I'm really grateful for my time at the University of Mobile and for the sacrifices my parents made to pay for my schooling.



Family vacations- I'm grateful for the bonding of continuous time spent together with my family and for the many places we've gotten to enjoy:  Smoky Mountains, the Gateway Arch, Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Mount Rushmore, Disney World, the beach, etc.  


Church Family- I'm so grateful for all the people from Twelfth Street and Arab FBC who taught me, loved me, prayed for me, gave graduation and wedding gifts, and sent cards and boxes in college.  I have been blessed by you in so many ways.

A beautiful love story- I'm so thankful for how the Lord brought KJ and I together.  He has proven to be exactly who I need, and I can't imagine walking through this life with anyone else.  



In-laws who love the Lord and me and who are kindred spirits in every way- What a gift to love the family you received by marriage as well as you love your own!



Healthy pregnancies and childbirths- I've come to realize that everything doesn't always work out perfectly in these areas, and I'm so thankful for my two healthy and beautiful children.  They are precious gifts.





Time with all my grandparents- I am so thankful for my own grandparents and the ones I have inherited by marriage.  I'm thankful for their lives of faith and the heritage we have from them, for all their love and prayers and gifts.  I'm so grateful.


1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet, Lynn! And there are so many people thankful for YOU - me being at the top of the list! :)

    ReplyDelete