Friday, November 5, 2010

My Husband, My Hero

Contrary to what the title of this post may suggest, this won't be a super-sappy post or anything but just a couple of instances where KJ saved the day for me today, making my life a little happier and a little easier.


It's been an emotionally draining and sad week for us.  In the forefront of our minds and hearts has been the death of a dear brother in Christ and our love and concern for his family.  But as a busy mother of two you ponder deep things while you rub Desitin on baby bottoms and organize the day for your busy preschooler.  There hasn't seemed to be enough time for me to talk through all my thoughts with KJ, and this morning and into the afternoon I was feeling pretty low, and trying to come up with a meal plan and plan activities for Ella was wearing me out.  Every time I attempted to talk to KJ I was interrupted by James spilling juice or falling down (he's really doing well walking!) or of course Ella is always present, talking, and listening in.  I was longing for those quiet days in our apartment before children came.  But KJ saved the day by being brave enough to lock us in our bedroom where we could talk without interruption.  It was so great.  Ella stood outside the door crying melodramatically and knocking continuously, but I had KJ's undivided attention, and that was all I needed.  He also had me laughing out of my doldrums by periodically yelling at Ella, "Go away!"  "You keep on knocking, but you can't come in!"  That makes me laugh again typing it.  When we emerged James had almost succeeded in renting an on-demand movie, but other than that my children were unscathed, I was in a more cheerful frame of mind, and Ella began to learn the lesson of a locked door.  


Later this afternoon I made a Wal-Mart run.  Shortly after my return there was a knock on our front door.  Ella met a little girl who lives down the street from us at another neighbor's wedding on Saturday, and since then Kirsten has been coming over to play quite frequently.  She is a sweet little girl, and we have seen she and her twin brother out playing and riding bikes since we moved into the neighborhood.  I am not ready for Ella to be roaming the neighborhood yet, so Kirsten has been coming here.  This afternoon she was at the door with her brother and another older boy.  Ella had just done a stellar job of cleaning her room, and I still had groceries everywhere, so I was not really ready for a herd of children to come in to play.  KJ offered to go outside with the kids, and so I asked him if he would mind cleaning out our car since he would be out there, and we've got people riding somewhere with us tomorrow night.  He agreed, and a few minutes later invited me outside to see how he had put the neighborhood kids to work.  Go KJ!




Killing an ant bed

The kids had a great time, my car got squeaky clean and vacuumed out, and I got all the groceries put away in peace.  I also took some pictures of the clouds because I thought they were so pretty today.  The sky was so blue, and the clouds were white with bits of gray around the edges.  



I'm very thankful to my husband for refreshing my heart and hosting a party in our yard tonight.  I just don't get enough time with that man!  (And yes, I know I just went on a vacation with him, but there's never enough time with the ones you love I guess.)

2 comments:

  1. KJ & Lynn,
    We love you both and we miss you terribly! I laughed out loud at the part where KJ was yelling at Ella thru the locked door while James is busying himself with OnDemand! KJ, you are quite resourceful... 'lettng' the neighborhood kids clean out your car! Amazing.
    Missing yall in the Big D,
    molly & justin

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You keep on knocking, but you can't come in" made me laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete