Saturday, August 7, 2010

Just Like Me

I really love having a daughter.  I am also glad that I had three years alone with her before James was born.  We were able to make and share so many wonderful memories together.  We strolled through the surrounding neighborhoods countless times from the time she was three weeks old.  We walked to Wal-Mart and the Dollar Tree.  We went to the library and Target, to the playground and Chick-Fil-A.  She's exercised and dusted, paced the house while talking on the phone, read books and put away dishes.  I see in her my best qualities and my worst; I also see several of her own that make up her unique self.


Ella will be four next month, and she has grown so much in the last year.  In some ways I feel like I have missed it because it has been such a sleep-deprived daze welcoming a new baby into our home.  I have been waking up during the past few weeks and really appreciating and loving all the changes and new growth in Ella during the past year.  I really don't know what I would do without Ella.  She is another pair of eyes and ears for me in saving James' life.  "Mom, he's doing something bad!"  "James, no no."  Poor James.  He'll be so hen-pecked with two mothers.  But at this stage it is definitely a good thing.  She fetches diapers and wipes and throws away the dirty diapers.  She's even started interpreting for James when I talk to him. "Are you ready for a nap?"  Ella in a high-pitched voice, "Yes, ma-ma."  "Are you hungry big boy?"  Ella again, "No, ma-ma."


The challenging thing with Ella lately has been having to think of "something for her to do" every 15 minutes or so, but yesterday was such a good day.  There are times when she is extraordinarily pleasant and easy to care for.  She wanted to help me clean yesterday (I don't think my bedroom will ever be dusty again, as she dusts it every day.), so she helped me put clothes in the dryer.  We worked in her workbook together, and then she worked on writing her letters (on her own, without whining about needing something to do!) while I did some other things.  She did a complete workout dvd with me (walking 4 miles) ending with a good stretch.  When I put James in the pack n' play so I could get ready she made sure he was happy, even supplying him with snacks when he got cranky.  I love my girl.


When we came home from Big Daddy's birthday party last night and I changed into some more comfortable clothes, she wanted to put on gray pants and a white tank top to be just like me.  



2 comments:

  1. I love my two girls!! And, I love the acquiring of more...Nicole and Sandy. How lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious!!!!!! I can't wait to make these memories with my daughter one day :) love y'all!!!
    PS. She looks just like you too :)

    ReplyDelete