Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Gilbert Marries Anne

It's wedding week in our family, and I am far too busy (and tired) to think of any original thoughts.  I thought I would share some of my favorite literary weddings.
But it was a happy and beautiful bride who came down the old, homespun-carpeted stairs that September noon--the first bride of Green Gables, slender and shining-eyed, in the mist of her maiden veil, with her arms full of roses.  Gilbert, waiting for her in the hall below, looked up at her with adoring eyes.  She was his at last, this evasive, long-sought Anne, won after years of patient waiting.  It was to him she was coming in the sweet surrender of the bride.  Was he worthy of her?  Could he make her as happy as he hoped?  If he failed her--if he could not measure up to her standard of manhood--then, as she held out her hand, their eyes met and all doubt was swept away in a glad certainty.  They belonged to each other; and, no matter what life might hold for them, it could never alter that.  Their happiness was in each other's keeping and both were unafraid.
- Anne's House of Dreams, L.M. Montgomery -  

6 comments:

  1. This is great, Lynn! I thought it ironic that - after Claire pulled my Anne books off the shelf just yesterday (maybe the day before...) - I picked up this particular book in the series and read this exact excerpt. I had it marked from the time that you shared this with me several years ago (of course, I haven't made the time yet to sit and enjoy such books to find quotations of the like on my own; though I strongly desire to...one day!) Thank you for sharing it with me then, and now. I love you and your love for good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love you and your love for good things :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read that book last week! (If only my eighth grade self knew that one day I would be able to say I read a book in a week) I hadn't read them since I was little and just picked them up a few weeks ago. I just finished Anne of Ingleside last night. I have the last two left but I think I am going to postpone them to reread the last three HP books since I've been wanting to read them for months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fun that you both just read passages from that book! I always loved that paragraph,and I enjoy reading the Anne books every year or so. The last one (Rilla of Ingleside) is such a good one. You'll have that to look forward to after HP, Bethany. :) I've been reading these out loud to KJ. We're at the end of Anne of Windy Poplars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Favorite wedding passage from Pride and Prejudice...
    It was an union that must have been to the advantage of both; by her ease and liveliness, his mind might have been softened, his manners improved, and from his judgment, information, and knowledge of the world, she must have received benefit of greater importance. But no such happy marriage could now teach the admiring multitude what connubial felicity really was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, how i love anne & gilbert! this quote makes me so happy, lynn! Their happiness was in each other's keeping and both were unafraid... most beautiful words!

    ReplyDelete