Sunday, October 16, 2011

Our Sunday

It's been another full and beautiful day.  It began with exploring the lovely village of Lacock.  It has been unspoiled by modern times, modernized while carefully keeping everything the same.


Do any BBC Pride and Prejudice fans recognize this shot?
You can see it when the Bingleys and Mr. Darcy arrive in Meryton for the ball.

This little town was also used in the filming of Cranford.

We then explored Lacock Abbey where several scenes in the early
Harry Potter movies were filmed.

The hallways of Hogwarts

Snape's  Classroom

We learned when we arrived that Lacock Abbey was owned by the Talbot family, one of whom was the father of modern photography.  There was a really interesting exhibit on display.



I am so impressed by the ingenuity of people who can decide they would like to do something that's never been done and work to do it.  "Why should it NOT be possible?"


It was actually a friend of Talbot's who first suggested the term, negative.


And here was the camera he made that took the above picture.
His wife called them "mousetraps."
They also had a lovely collection of old cameras.


After Lacock we drove to Bath, making only one stop to capture this lovely view.  The picture doesn't really do it justice, though, I'm afraid.  It was stunning to behold.


We only had about 2 1/2 hours in Bath before attractions started closing, so we made our stops quickly but still enjoyed all our time.  We visited the Jane Austen Centre, The Assembly Rooms, The Pump Room, and The Roman Baths.  We also made a quick stop by the house the Austen family lived in at 4 Sydney Place.  That might have been a highlight for me, as well as seeing the river Avon.  Of course the best part was eating paninis in the square beside Bath Abbey with KJ, just enjoying our time together.  We haven't had much time for sitting and talking  when we're walking quickly through the cities and reading information at attractions, and if I talk to him in the car we miss the all-important directions from our friend, Miss GPS.  "What did she say?  First exit off the rotary?"  Oh, dear.  It was nice to just sit like the other tourists and listen to the street musician's music.

Tomorrow should be a relaxing day.  We're driving through Wales and spending the afternoon in a town with over 40 bookstores.  It should be nice.  I am definitely missing my children, though, and ready to be home with them again.  

3 comments:

  1. Again, thank you so much for keeping us posted. What an incredible adventure, indeed!

    I just talked to Mom and Ella. She informed me that tomorrow was pajama day @ school. I replied, "So Fun! Are you excited?" With hesitation she said, "I thhhiinkk so." Precious Ella. Oh, and she also told me that she prayed for John David. What a sweetheart!

    Sending love to the UK from NC.

    (and thank you for all of your sweet comments on our blog. You're so dear.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you got to talk to them. She IS so precious, so nervous about anything new. :) The Pughs definitely love the Kizziahs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just now reading your blog posts! It took me a while to remember exactly how to get to it. I'm excited you went to Lacock Village, because I have family that we think came from there. My mom's grandfather was Arthur Laycock. He came over and settled in Northport, where he was a builder. He built the Northport 1st Methodist Church, Northport's first public school, the first Tuscaloosa Post Office (which later became City Hall, among others. He didn't actually move from Lacock Village area, but from Bradford, in Yorkshire. But I'm pretty sure my brother (who does geneology stuff) has traced his family back to there. So, very cool!

    ReplyDelete