Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The North Country

Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday.

One of I don't know how many bookstores

A rainbow as we left Wales

Richard Baxter's church and statue 

A house where Baxter lived as a young curate
before he became pastor of the above church


This morning we got up early and caught the end of the sunrise.



We saw a lot of cows and even more sheep.

I love the way they looked at me.

After our sunrise journey and breakfast the first order of business was buying me a cozy, warm jacket.  Success!  Apparently the winter is so long in Derbyshire, they have sales on fleece and cashmere in October.  I was so thankful to feel warm again.  I didn't pack a lot of overly warm things because before we left I was only able to see the forecast for the first week.  The first week was cool but mild.  We just heard the forecast for tonight, and it was 0 C.  I can't remember what that translates to Fahrenheit.  32?

As we rounded the corner this morning, preparing ourselves for the glory of Pemberley, we were disappointed to see the entire front of Chatsworth House covered in scaffolding and tarps where they've been cleaning the stone.  It was a disappointment not to be able to capture the stunning house with my camera, but the grounds were beautiful.  It truly is a most happily situated house.

After lunch we drove into the high peak district.  It was so amazingly beautiful (and cold!).  We took a little detour at a castle and then traveled to Yorkshire.  Tomorrow we're driving through the Lake District into Scotland to visit the birthplace of John G. Paton.  If you haven't read his biography, you should!  It's very exciting.  

We really are having such a wonderful time together.  It's been amazing every day.  I am missing my children so much, however, but I think I would be perfectly happy to bring them here to live for a few years.  

1 comment:

  1. Hooray for a Derbyshire jacket!

    But sorry to hear about the Pemberley disappointment; I would have loved to see the pictures of that myself. Thankful that you enjoyed the grounds, nonetheless, and that the sheep posed nicely for you.

    Enjoy visiting Paton's birthplace - one of the few biographies that I've taken time to digest. (sorry to say that I've deprived myself thus far in the biography realm, though i'm thankful i have spent time with a good one :)

    And we'll definitely plan a trip to visit you when you move ;)

    Again, thank you for your comments on our blog. I feel honored that you've been venturing over to ours during your time away! I always appreciate your words.

    We love you guys!

    ReplyDelete