Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Our Mode of Life

I had this advantage, at least, in my mode of life,
over those who were obliged to look abroad for
amusement, to society and the theatre,
that my life itself was become my amusement
and never ceased to be novel.
- Walden, Henry David Thoreau

This statement is not true of me all of the time, of course.  Just like anybody else, I sometimes look abroad for my amusement.  My mode of life can sometimes feel confining.  But that's only when the constant demands of mothering make me feel frantic inside (as I felt for a little while last night).  This morning, in the light of a new day, I feel more like enjoying it, and perhaps I will even find much to amuse me.  After all, it is kind of novel when James tumbles down the steps on the deck and slightly amusing when he complains about being given healthy foods instead of cookies, when he complains about water over juice, and when he climbs like a monkey from the basket to the piano bench and falls.  But in contrast to those novelties, it's really fun when he dances, laughs with joy, sucks his thumb, gives me a hug, and runs for the door at any sign that one might be going out it.

Ella keeps life a lot of fun, too.  She plays with and takes care of her brother, she asks to watch a movie a thousand times a day, she plays school and travels to "New York," she's learning to read, as well as crying dramatically when things don't go her way (But then, I do the same things she does; she's like a mirror, reflecting the best and worst of me).  And let me just add, that she's also incredibly polite and precious.  She's so intuitive about how I feel.  As I try to write, she keeps calling my name intermittently from the living room.  A little frustration came through in my voice after the third or fourth time, and she kind of laughed and said, "I'm sorry to interrupt you."  She also frequently tells me that I'm "pretty much amazing," and the "best mom in the whole wide world."  I have so much to be thankful for, even when I don't feel like being thankful.  

My life is actually very amusing and offers plenty of novelty.  I'm listening to my children laugh hysterically together now.  I love my job.

Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!
Let your gentle spirit be known to all men.  The Lord is near.
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything 
by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving
let your requests be made known to God.

And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension,
will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:4-7

No comments:

Post a Comment