Tuesday, February 1, 2011

16 months

It seems like a long time since I've recorded one of James' "month" birthdays.  I've been noticing areas of growth and change in the past few days, so I thought it would be good to record them.  Otherwise this particular stage in his life will be forgotten and gone with the wind.  So, what's my big boy up to these days?



  • He still drools!  The phenomenon that is James' drool started at five months and has yet to cease.  We wet through (or dirty) about six bibs a day.
  • He can climb up on furniture all by himself.  He's now able to attain the sofa or chair all alone, and he is really proud of himself for doing so.  He sits up straight and tall with a big smile on his face.
  • He's really in tune to any and all cues that we might be going somewhere.  Going "bye-bye" is his absolute favorite thing in the whole world.  Doors are meant to be opened and summarily walked through.  Here are a few of the ways he knows someone is about to go outside:  If anyone puts on shoes, if I start to take the trash bag out of the can, if he sees me changing clothes, if I pick up my purse, if I pick up the diaper bag, etc.  Whenever he sees anyone engaging in any of these activities he immediately begins a chorus of, "bye-bye, bye-bye, bye-bye" that doesn't stop until he is out the door.  
  • He loves juice!  My mom recently reminded me that he probably drinks so much because he drools so much.  This is probably true.  He is usually convinced that whatever Ella is drinking is better and tries to steal her cup every chance he gets.
  • He still puts his thumb in his mouth when he goes to sleep.
  • He loves to watch baby movies.  Little Einstein, Praise Baby and anything else with music is greeted with cries of excitement.  He opens the closet and points up to the movies, and when the menu comes up for a dvd he will find a remote control and point it up at the television.  
  • He still loves to climb stairs.  He will still climb up on all fours, but he has also moved on to walking up if he is holding on to a rail or a hand.  The same goes for going down steps.  He is very familiar with where the eighteen stairs in our church are located.  I can carry him and sit him down in the farthest corner of the sanctuary, and he will jet out of there straight to the stairs.  
  • He recognizes food boxes.  This morning he started crying when I took out the box of Golden Grahams, obviously not what he wanted.  He did the same for goldfish but was finally satisfied with Club Crackers.
  • He's definitely a communicator.  There are just a few words he says that are intelligible, but he jabbers all day long (just like Ella did).  He's also starting to repeat a few words (such as outside).  
  • He understands what we're saying.  I've noticed a big jump in his understanding of what's going on around him.  Saying the word outside sent him running to the front door a few nights ago.  Asking him if he's ready to go "night-night" sends him running to the rocking chair in his room (he pretty much runs everywhere), and this morning he went to his room to fetch a diaper after dirtying his.  
  • He loves to laugh.  That boy laughs at everything.  Everything is hilarious.  
  • He loves Ella.  He loves to play with his sister (and she is so good to play with him), but he has also become a little jealous for my attention.  If Ella is sitting close to me he comes running to claim his place.  
  • He still takes two naps.  I'm pretty glad for this.  He's hanging on to the morning nap a little longer than Ella did, and he goes to bed at 7:30 each night.  
I guess that just about sums up the life of James these days.  I still can't believe I have a little boy, but I'm so glad it's him.


No comments:

Post a Comment