Monday, April 30, 2018

April, Come She Will

April has been a really full month for us and a real turning point in settling in to life in Paris, our third month here.  The church plant at Ternes fully launched, and new acquaintances are becoming friends.  And perhaps most telling that we are settling into the daily routines of life and work was the little wave of homesickness I felt this week.  Maybe it was the pollen that went flying off the trees when the wind blew that put me in mind of spring in the south and the thick coating of yellow-green that settles over every surface.  

Meanwhile, here's what April was like for us in Paris.

April 1 - We went out early Sunday morning to a small park I'd found earlier in the week that was filled with blossoms to take some family Easter pictures.


April 2 - On a walk with friends from church I learned that muskrats have orange teeth.  They seem almost alien!



April 3 - I started making use of our host's espresso machine with the milk frother.  Hot, frothy milk is a delight.


April 5 - We spent an afternoon with a family in a suburb of Paris where all these blues caught my eye.  Can you spy the French flag?


April 6 - I love how these new leaves look almost like flowers.


April 7 - We spent a lot of Saturdays at the library this month where the kids attended writing workshops.  I really like this poster.


April 8 - The combination of French and a prosaic English name made me laugh.


April 9 - Seeing my kids reading always makes me happy.


April 10 - If it's more of a sedentary day homeschooling the kids, I've tried to go out for a little walk in the evening.  The cherry blossoms made April so beautiful.


April 11 - Isn't this park absolutely gorgeous?  We went in the evening twice this month, once after supper and once for a picnic.


April 12 - The kids were in the back playing with K.J., I was tired, and it was quiet, so I did some comfort-watching:  Sense and Sensibility.


April 13 - This was our blue-sky view the evening we had our picnic in the park.


April 14 - Black and whites of the city really make the architecture stand out.


April 15 - We now have a full month of services at the church plant behind us!  It's been wonderful to meet new people there.


April 16 - The evening light was beautiful when I went out to go to the store.


April 17 - Those blossoms were just killing it.


April 18 - I visited a big grocery store, and they had these massive leaves of aloe vera in the produce section, something I'd never before seen.


April 19 - The cheese aisle is filled with every kind of cheese possible.  Still, James requests that "orange, smooth cheese."


April 20 - Lua arrived, and we took her on a walk through Tuileries to help her stay awake.  Aren't the tulips bright and beautiful?


April 21 - Walking back from a book exchange with ladies from church I discovered some wisteria.  I love it.


April 22 - Waiting in line for ice cream after church last Sunday; it was another gorgeous day!


April 23 - Sometimes a boy just wants to do math in bed.


April 24 - When James saw this picture he said, "I look like a teenager!"  He is growing tall.


April 25 - This is our friendly indifferent neighborhood cat.


April 26 - There's a little park near the American Embassy that's a good destination when I just need to stretch my legs before bed.  I spotted these white tulips there last week.


April 27 - It seems like every picture is one I took on the way to the grocery store, because I am constantly going to the grocery store here.  I thought it would be nice to sit and read for a minute before making it to the store, but I wasn't on the bench 5 minutes before a breeze swept through this tree, covering my black pants in pollen.


April 28 - The windowboxes are lovely this time of year.



April 29 - We were really excited last night coming home from church because we've always wanted to get off at Franklin D. Roosevelt because it has such a fun, 1940s vibe to it, but we've never had a reason to until then.


April 30 - See ya, April!


"April, come she will
when streams are ripe 
and swelled with rain..."
- Simon and Garfunkel - 

April is definitely sending us off with rain and cold today.  Hopefully it's been more pleasant wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment