Friday, April 27, 2018

Friday Favorites, vol. iv

This week I'm loving...

1.  this acoustic cover of A Million Dreams from The Greatest Showman

It's good morning music.



2. YouTube videos

This is a funny one for me because when YouTube first came on the scene I was vehemently against wasting my time watching people be stupid on the internet, but now it's the home of so many really smart and creative people helping me explain particle accelerators to my kids...and to me!  This week I started using it to supplement history, too.  We were reading about the first kings of England this week, and we all liked this one.



3.  re-reading Flavia de Luce books

I got behind reading new books in this series, so I started re-reading ones I've already previously read to have the stories fresh in my mind.  They're so good I accidentally read three in three days this past week.  If you like cozy British mysteries and precocious young female protagonists, these are for you.  Alan Bradley is master of a good simile.



4.  going to bed earlier

Part of why I could read three books in three days was I abandoned my before bed TV habit for a before bed reading habit and consequently fell asleep earlier.  I like watching TV, but I also like being a happier human the next day.  What to do...

5.  getting to spend my days learning history and science

I was just watching yet another YouTube video about the phases of matter with the kids (we've gotten into a routine of reading about a topic, then searching for a video that goes along with it), and it hit me, "I get to spend my days learning about history and science.  This is amazing."  I love history.  My brain doesn't compute science as well; I can't comprehend so much of what I read about the invisible world of electrons.  But I'm amazed at the people who can comprehend it and the God who created it all.  And I'm really grateful I get to learn even just a little bit more about these things.


What intrigued me more than anything was 
finding out the way in which everything, 
all of creation—all of it!—was held together 
by invisible chemical bonds, and I found a strange, 
inexplicable comfort  in knowing that somewhere, 
even though we couldn’t see it in our own world, 
there was real stability.”
- The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, Alan Bradley - 

No comments:

Post a Comment