Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday's Memories: A Derbyshire Sunrise

I knew from the beginning of our trip that I wanted to be out in the English countryside at sunrise one morning, and what better place to do that than in Derbyshire?  After a Tuesday night watching the British History Channel, we woke up early, bundled up and drove a little way outside of the village of Bakewell.

If you're familiar with Pride and Prejudice, this is the village that is the pattern for Lambton, where Elizabeth and her Aunt and Uncle Gardiner are staying when they decide to visit Pemberley. 

Maybe it's just me, but these pictures take my breath away.  Derbyshire is so beautiful.

 I love the look of the green patchwork quilt on the hills.

 I love those old rock walls.

 More green patchwork...isn't it wonderful?

 My Cow Friend: He kept his eye on me,
wondering what I was up to.

 He came to get a closer look.

We drove up above the other side of the village, and I love this shot looking down at the church.  It's a perfect little place.

After our lovely, brisk and cold morning start we went back to our hotel for breakfast and to load up the car.  I made it my first order of business to buy a coat because I was freezing.  I found a nice fleece made in Scotland and felt instantly better.  On a side note, we had meant to bring along a cd of soundtrack music from our favorite British movies for the car and forgot.  While I was picking out a jacket, KJ bought some Welsh music as well as some music from musicals.  When he put it in the car and Oklahoma started blasting out, I had to change it.  We can't listen to that one here.  

We explored the streets of the village and a book shop where I bought Ella a copy of Winnie the Pooh, which I've probably enjoyed reading aloud to her more than she has.  I never knew Eeyore had so many hilarious one-liners.  

After exploring Bakewell at bit we got in the car and drove to Chatsworth House, otherwise known as...Pemberley

No comments:

Post a Comment