Friday, September 14, 2012

Friday's Flashback: Into the North Country

After our stop in Kidderminster with Richard Baxter we turned our little traveling car toward Derbyshire, a place which had lived in infamy with me since my first reading of Pride and Prejudice at the age of twenty-two.  

I think KJ took the above picture when we stopped at a public toilet.  I kid you not, you absolutely had to take advantage when you saw such a sign.  It got to the point where when we'd drive through a village and see a "TO LET" sign, we'd get excited before realizing our mistake:  a crucial letter was missing.


Our first views of Derbyshire did not disappoint.  The green fields and rock walls were just as I imagined, and the air was bitter cold.  So, so cold, that it was painful to get out of the car, but when we rounded a bend we saw it, our second rainbow of the day.  It made my heart full.

It was so cold that after my rainbow shot I contented myself with taking pictures from inside the car.  KJ braved the cold a bit longer to bring you this panorama.

 And off we went.  Derbyshire awaits.

No comments:

Post a Comment