Tuesday, September 25, 2012

All We Do Around Here

Today turned into an unexpectedly long and exhausting day.  Disciplining my children wears me out emotionally, and James required a lot of discipline today.  As I was bidding Ella good-night she asked, "Mom, what are we going to do tomorrow?"  She is ever like me...wanting to do something exciting.  But striving-for-discipline me responded, "Well, school...".

Big sigh.  "Well, I don't really like doing school all the time.  All I do is listen and write...it's kind of boring."

Seeing the tired and dejected look on my face, "But, I still love you."

"Thanks.  Good night."

It suddenly occurred to me, as it so often does, how much we can learn about ourselves from children.  We're not so different than they.  Children have no idea of all the work going on behind the scenes in parenting, the parents' desires for them to be happy, healthy, have everything they need, and grow into mature, God-fearing, happy, healthy adults.  They so easily forget the gifts that came before.  And so do we.  So do we.  I so easily forget all of God's good gifts, the lengths He went to to make me His own.

All we ever do around here is listen and write.


No comments:

Post a Comment