Thursday, March 22, 2012

This post brought to you by...a barking dog.

Our Spring Break week was lovely and relaxing, the slowest week I've had in a long time.  


Combined with the time change, I slept more at night than I have in years, and when KJ had to set the alarm Sunday morning for the early-morning men's prayer breakfast, it was not pleasant.  Monday morning wasn't so pleasant, either.  Deep, restful sleep was nice while it lasted.  


Despite it being sad to send Ella back to school, Monday wasn't a bad day.  It was nice.  Luke came back to our house, and it was obvious he'd grown during our week apart.  KJ and Ella came home with a movie from the RedBox, and I went for a run.  Life sped up a little bit, but things really got hectic on Tuesday.


My very kind and thoughtful husband told me Monday afternoon that he would come home early so I could go get my hair cut and highlighted.  He also said he would stay home with James while Ella and I met my family for dinner to celebrate my brother's birthday.  It was a day busy with an abnormal schedule, but it was filled with good things.  Ella and I had a good drive up the interstate until we stopped at the light at our exit, I reached up to turn off the CD player so I could hear what Ella was saying, and then my car just stopped.  I tried re-cranking to no avail.  But the Lord was so kind.  I only had 5 seconds of panicked, "What do I do now??" before I felt His peace and saw Him immediately provide for every need.


The couple in the car behind me started to drive around us but then saw my flashers come on, and they came back.  The girl got out and asked what was wrong, to which I replied, "I have no idea.  My car just stopped."  She nodded her head at her companion and said, "He knows  cars."  And he did.  He immediately diagnosed the problem (which possibly wasn't too hard when he saw my smoking hot engine).  He "happened" to have some antifreeze with him in his car, so he added some of that, and another kind lady who was at the light a few minutes later provided bottled water from the trunk of her car for us to poor into my sad, empty car.  It really was amazing seeing God's immediate care.  I would have been clueless.  I think I should attend a workshop on basic car repairs.  That would be helpful.  Do they have those?


Anyway, this kind and helpful couple got my car running again and made sure I made it safely to my destination, and my brother and his wife came to my rescue about an hour later.  I had to leave my car behind, and KJ and a friend are borrowing a flat-bed trailer from a church member this afternoon and going to bring my car back home to be fixed.  I don't know what we would do without our church family...or the kindness of strangers.


So KJ's day was made hectic yesterday trying to work out a way to retrieve our car...as well as save our computer.  When I made it home late Tuesday night, I thought KJ and I would relax away the cares of the day.  We did do that, but we also received a message from our computer that "Harddrive failure was imminent."  This was very disconcerting, but I'm so grateful for the message.  I was able to back-up all of our pictures and video (I think), and thanks to yet another member of our church family, we're hoping we'll be able to restore everything, because it did indeed die yesterday afternoon.  Whew.  


It's been a bit mentally exhausting trying to take care of these things while simultaneously teaching two Bible studies (KJ) and taking care of 3 kids, but we've been good.  A lot of things have been breaking recently, but it's just stuff.  It breaks.  All in all, things are pretty good around  here.  


My neighbor's new dog did wake me up early this morning with a round of barking, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment