Thursday, March 15, 2012

Spring Break: Days 2 + 3

Ella spent a lot of time playing with princess dolls.  It's been so fun to have her home, just like it used to be.  She dances while she watches cartoons.  Girl's got some moves.  She always has.


James has loved having his sister home.  He will be sad come Monday morning.  They play together very sweetly.  They also squeal and whine at each other a lot, because James tries to take whatever Ella's playing with away from her.  


We watched the VeggieTales Jonah movie.  That is one VeggieTales movie where they really captured the crux of the story, Jonah's willingness to accept God's mercy for himself but having a really hard time accepting it for his enemies.  I just think it's portrayed so well when Jonah's all settled back waiting for God to destroy Nineveh, and God makes the vine grow to shade him from the sun, and Jonah says, "Oh, thank you.  Very nice."  Then he completely flips out when the caterpillar eats it.  It gets me every time, and I am convicted by how easily I receive God's compassion and then fail to have the same compassion toward others.


I took close-up pictures of the flowers I posted here a couple of weeks ago.  Ella took pictures of me taking pictures, and James took pictures with KJ's iPhone because he doesn't like to be left out of the fun.



I went to the newly-opened Hobby Lobby by myself!  That was a delightful and relaxing time. I got lots of decorating inspiration and finally found the perfect thing to hang on a nail that's in the brick on my front porch.  I've been looking for two years, and I rounded a corner in the store, and there it was.  It's wrought iron and kind of looks like the sun from Tangled.  I heard the theme music in my head when I saw it.

We took the kids with us to vote in the primary.  We've never voted in a primary before but felt like we should, and it really isn't that far from our house.  James behaved like I expected, hanging over KJ's arm the entire time saying, "I write, I write."


I took the kids around the block with James on the tricycle and Ella on her scooter.  I got a really good bicep workout in when one of the wheels came off Ella's scooter, and she had to walk, which made James decide to walk to, and I carried both tricycle and scooter back to the house.

Ella worked on puzzles.  James also worked on his Thomas the Train puzzle.  I bought it at the Dollar Tree, and it has been the most used dollar I've ever spent.  He loves it and puts it together repeatedly.

Ella and I read James his library books.  I'm always so impressed by Ella's reading.  Have you ever read the Dinosaur books by Jane Yolen?  They are so good, and Monday at the library I found some more books she wrote about bears.  She does an amazing job of capturing young family life.  My favorite lines from Baby Bear's Chairs were:

And great big bears
have so much fun,
they're never told
that playtime's done.

And being bears
both big and great,
at night they also
stay up late.

Not like other bears
I know,
who right at one
to nap must go.

I can remember feeling like it was so unfair that my mother got to stay up late and read books, while I had to go to bed at night.  I know James feels it unfair that he has to take a nap right at one when Ella gets to stay awake.  


KJ visited an allergist and discovered he was allergic to dust mites.  I was sent on a mission to buy a few of the things the doctor recommended.  I bought a cover for his pillow to keep dust mites from coming through it.  I purchased a duster that reaches the tops of our ceiling fans so I can wipe them off once a week.  I bought Endust to wipe the furniture down with weekly and a mask for him to wear when he works in the yard.  The dust mite thing really does make sense, so we're hoping all these little changes will do away with his chronic drainage and congestion.

Speaking of KJ, he is taking the day off today and is now tending to the yard wearing his new mask which slightly frightened James.  We're looking forward to some family time today.


I think it might involve some springtime beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment