Friday, April 29, 2011

Normal?

As I mentioned yesterday, life is having to go on somewhat normally for me, but of course it is not for those who have been affected by the tornado and those who are able to help.  It is hard to do normal and daily household chores knowing all that is going on just a few miles away.  I am trying to be disciplined with housework so that I can be ready when the time comes to serve, and I'm taking care of my children, thanking God that I can.  I heard on the news this morning of rescuers pulling a five-year-old girl out of the rubble alive.  At first it felt like just another piece of news, but then I imagined Ella, who is almost five, being trapped for over 24 hours, how scared, how frightened, cold, and hungry she must have been.  It broke my heart.  


I am thankful, also, for the internet and television and being able to stay somewhat updated by these means.  I know of so many members of our church who have been able to donate their time cleaning up debris and working at shelters.  I've been going through our clothes and shoes today, pulling out items we don't need or use.  I'm looking forward to giving those and praying they will be received by those who need them most.  Ella was a generous little giver as we went through her drawers.  I had to make sure she didn't try to give away all the clothes she doesn't like.  She was very upset last night when she received the news that Chuck E. Cheese and Hobby Lobby didn't make it.  She cried and said, "Two of her favorite places were ruined."  She asked last night if there would be more tornadoes and if the power would go out.  I reassured her and have been praying she would not be afraid.  I'm also trying to filter our conversation about the devastation here. 


We're so thankful that all of our church members are safe and accounted for, and we have set up a fund for tornado relief.  You can donate online via our website.  

No comments:

Post a Comment