Monday, August 5, 2013

Quotes from Here and There

Last week I read an interesting blog post over at Desiring God where Tony Reinke made a list of tips for bloggers taken from John Newton's letters, particularly his thoughts on letter-writing. Part of Newton's first tip was: 


"...make extracts from your favorite authors, especially those who, 
besides a fund of spiritual and evangelical matter, have a happy talent of expressing their thoughts in a clear and lively manner:  you would find a continued exercise in this way would be greatly useful to form your 
own style, and help your delivery and memory."   

I've written down quotes before in random places, but I thought I might try to gather a handful of things I read and liked through the week, whether they be spiritual words or clever or just written in "a lively manner."

Last week's standouts:

"I have often wished we had more female pens 
employed in the service of the sanctuary...In the 
article of essay writing, I think many are qualified
to succeed better than most men, having a peculiar
easiness of style, which few of us can imitate."
  •  I've been reading Charlotte's Web by E.B. White with Ella.
True, right?
  • Acts 17 - "For 'In him we live and move and have our being.'"
 

  • from Glimpses of Grace by Gloria Furman
"So here I am and it's 5 a.m. again.  The sun is breaking
through the cracks in between the curtains, and I'm so
exhausted I can hardly think straight.  I'm ready to look
to Jesus and consider what he has done and will 
do when I grow weary or fainthearted.  And whatever
time it is wherever you are, he can meet you there, too." 

"I have come to realize that the Lord knows my gifts,
my talents, my strengths--he gave them to me after all.
No matter where you are in life, He knows yours as well...
And as the Lord prepared David in his shepherding days,
the Lord has used these days to refine our gifts in secret.
Gifts that will be seasoned with a mature heart of
compassion, humility and selfless love learned
in the many sleepless nights and long days of the
little years."

No comments:

Post a Comment