Thursday, June 28, 2012

Make a Memory Today

I stumbled upon a blog post this morning encouraging fathers to be purposeful in planning family vacations.  

Family vacations provide a unique opportunity each year for fathers to create memories their children will never forget. Memories that will last a lifetime. 
Memories that will be recreated by your children with your grandchildren. Memories that will outlive a father.
(excerpt from post linked above)

It reminded me of all the wonderful vacation memories my own father created for my brothers and I.  Looking back at old family pictures I came up with a list of things that are worth the trouble when you're on a trip or plan a trip.


{ Skip School }
I remember this day so vividly, getting checked out of school for a spur-of-the-moment trip just to drive up north a bit and enjoy the fall color.  Take advantage of the moment.  Be spontaneous.

  
{ Expect Delays and Set-backs }
I think every single bicycle on this camping trip busted a tube.  I'm sure it was frustrating for my dad, spending so much time on bike repair, but I don't remember him getting overly frustrated.  I think you just have to try to stay calm and take care of the problem.  It didn't catch God by surprise.

  
{ Swim with your clothes on }
Didn't pack a bathing suit?  Don't sweat it.  The clothes will dry.  Natural rock slides don't appear every day.

  
{ Don't let a blizzard keep you indoors }
Enough said.  Get out there and enjoy it.  Wear your mom's coat and your dad's cap, a poncho from Guatemala, whatever you can find to keep warm.

  
{ Eat Lunchables } 
I just love how tough Jesse looks eating a Lunchable.  That's impressive.


{ Take your dog on a hike }
It might make a Barney Fife park ranger mad.

  
{ Go on 11-mile bike rides }
I can still conjure up every hill and curve of that ride in my mind we rode it so many times.  

  
{ Take advantage of once-in-a-lifetime opportunities }
How often do the Olympics happen just a short drive away from your hometown?

  
{ Go big }
Two week road trips?  You should take one.

 


{ Swing off a rope }
Don't worry about it if the water feels like it's 40 degrees.

  
{ Take your shirt off and carry a whip }
You know, if you're a boy, I guess.

  
{ Know you'll be tired at the end }
But if you do even one of these things with your family this summer you won't regret it, and you'll definitely make memories your kids will one day recreate with their spouses and children.  I promise.

  



3 comments:

  1. I love this, dear Lynn; so true! And though I enjoyed all of the pictures, I ESPECIALLY loved seeing the one with your grandmother & little boy BP ~ what a treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I see a lot of James in little Uncle Jesse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those old pictures are SUCH a treasure. And James just might be a little Uncle Jesse in the making for sure.

      Delete