Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Family


I was so thankful and excited about our stop to visit with family on both ends of our beach trip.  It had been too many years since we'd been able to travel that far south.  James did so well, though, that I'm hoping there will be many more road trips in our future.  

I left my grandparents' house filled with memories spanning 22 years, of sleeping on the couch in the room with the wood-burning stove glowing bright, of my Papa's boats, of lunch dates and shopping with my aunt and grandmother.  


Ever since leaving our church in Kentucky I've felt a keen sense of thankfulness that this life is not all there is for those whose hope is in Christ.  It's always hard to move and leave behind people you've shared life with, but the sting is taken away when I remember that "this life is but the title and the cover page."  There are new adventures ahead with more joy and deeper fellowship than we enjoy here.  I treasure the time I lived in the same city as my grandparents.


My Papa gave the gifts of visits to ShowBiz/Chuck E. Cheese, pancake breakfasts at McDonald's, dollar bills for ice cream, and bike rides in the Mobile heat.  He always took us to do something fun when we came to town.


Gramma was the giver of good books and remote control cars at Christmas, of giving haircuts, and soup and salad lunches at Olive Garden during my college days.  She also graciously opened up her home to my roommates and I, serving my favorite shrimp and rice, and letting us laugh non-stop around her table.  

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights...

James 1:17a

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. a few tears while reading this,,when your here it's always brings sweet memories of past times,,,wonderful sweet memories,,,,

    ReplyDelete