Thursday, January 20, 2011

"Thanks, Mom."

Introducing new foods to my daughter has long been a trial in our household.  From the moment it was time for her to start eating table food, meat and vegetables were the bane of her existence.  We overcame the meat hurdle a couple of years ago by bribing her with Hershey chocolate bars.  "You eat your hamburger and you can have some chocolate."  It worked.  She now eats hamburger and chicken and pretty much any meat as long as she can dip it in ketchup.  Last year we tackled cooked vegetables.  We kind of had to use force on this one, but corn goes down without a fuss and sometimes green beans now.  


Last week I told her she had to try three bites of mashed potatoes.  Now, to be fair, Ella has never liked mashed potatoes, but I figure everybody should, and she's just being difficult, so I made her do it.  She made it through the first two bites, but she ended bite three by gagging, and...well, I'll let you imagine what happened next.  Suffice it to say that I decided I wouldn't make her eat mashed potatoes again.


A couple of nights ago KJ was coming in late, so it was just the kids and I sitting down to supper.  I made some hamburger and some green peas that I put on mine and James' plates.  For some reason, I just put hamburger on Ella's plate.  I guess there was a part of me that didn't want to fight the battle, and she had just had some crackers, so I thought the meat would be enough for her.  Ella said good-bye to some friends that had come to play and came to the table.  I was still fixing drinks when she said, "Thanks for not giving me peas, Mom.  This hamburger looks great."  


That sweet girl.  She was overcome with thankfulness to be spared the trial of eating unknown vegetables.  I kind of know how she feels.  I'm really grateful when I don't have to deal with those little things that try my soul.  Aren't you?

3 comments:

  1. Sterling has gotten so picky since starting table food as well. As long as it was mashed up he would eat about anything - go figure!

    He is bad about the meat and veggies as well. We are getting better with the meat, but like Ella he doesn't even want to touch a vegetable. He won't even try things that I know he likes sometimes. Like sometimes he likes mashed potatoes and sometimes he doesn't. Sometimes he will try chicken and sometimes we have to force him to try it. Our one saving veggie that he will always eat is sweet potatoes. HE LOVES "sweet mashed tatoes" Especially if I am in a fun mood and will sprinkle a little cinnamon on them.

    I have started buying the Mott's Medleys. They say that it has one or two (I can't remember) servings of vegetable in it. So when it is BOGO at the grocery store I stock up and I feel much better about him not always eating green beans or corn for supper. I'm not sure if it is really that great for him but it makes me feel better.

    Also, I asked his pediatrician about it, thinking he may need a vitamin or something. She looked at him and said, "It's not like he is suffering for nutrition, just keep offering it too him, but I wouldn't worry too much about it." That made me feel much better! Ella you aren't the only one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get it. Haddie LOVES unknown foods. ;)

    But seriously...no more tricking with apple sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ALL my kids were (some still are) picky eaters, except Tori! She always said she liked everything cept poison ~ which was pretty much true!!! It just wasn't worth fighting with them for me (usually)! Although, I do agree with the mashed potato thought, but obviously, she really doesn't like them! Hillary did the same thing with mac and cheese ~ what kid doesn't like mac and cheese???? Hillary ~ and she still doesn't! And then Jameson was allergic to peanuts from about 12 months old ~ Hillary would have died without peanut butter and he has never had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich! Somehow they make it!!! And at least she is not one of those children who are allergic to so many foods that you have to change your whole family's diet!!! Sorry I have rattled on ~ but you do have PRECIOUS children!!!

    ReplyDelete