Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Like a Weaned Child With Its Mother

Last night James woke up around 11 p.m. and refused to be put back down.  He stood in his bed, crying and wailing for several minutes.  I decided to try rocking him again, so I picked up his little slobbery, wet self, put him on my shoulder, and sat down in the rocker.  He nestled his little head into my shoulder, and his little body shook every few seconds as he quieted down from his fit of screaming.  I love the way it feels to have the power to quiet my babies just by picking them up and holding them.  As I sat in the semi-darkness rocking my baby my mind wandered to this psalm (or perhaps the Holy Spirit within me directed my mind to His Word?).


O LORD, my heart is not lifted up;
my eyes are not raised too high;
I do not occupy myself with things
too great and too marvelous for me.
But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother; 
like a weaned child is my soul within me.
O Israel, hope in the LORD
from this time forth and forevermore.
- Psalm 131 -

It is a stress-relieving reminder to still the million questions about the future, the guilt over the day's failures, and every worry in my heart because the LORD is good.  He is in control of the future, His grace is sufficient for me, and He desires that I be anxious for nothing.  He wants me to put my hope in Him, to nestle down at the end of the day and quiet my soul like a weaned child with its mother.


3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, sweet Lynn. You're a precious Mommy of two precious children. And what a gracious, Sovereign Father we have. Those middle of the night reminders are priceless. Thank you for sharing, and I love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynn! How sweet this is! Also, thanks for the tips on having children... I laughed out loud! ps...Did you get a new camera or a new lens perhaps? Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No new camera, Molly! But the picture in this post was taken by a better photographer than I with a better camera than I have. :)

    ReplyDelete