Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Day 5 - Let the little children come

So many times people will tell me that caring for my children is the greatest work I will ever do, and I also hear said a lot that God notices the small things we do faithfully, and we may be surprised at which acts are most rewarded in heaven.  When I hear these things, I can kind of agree in my head, but the emotional certainty that those things are true is not always present.  But what did I read this morning?


"If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all..."
Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, and whoever
receives me, receives not me but him who sent me."

"Let the children come to me; do not hinder them, for to such belongs the kingdom of God."
And he took them in his arms and blessed them, laying his hands on them.
- Mark 9:36a, 37; 10:14b, 15 -

I also read the following note in my ESV Study Bible:  "The attitude of the heart Jesus is teaching does not even overlook a lowly child but receives, and thereby cares for, such a little one in Christ's name.  In contrast to the status-seeking of the disciples, Jesus is showing them they should willingly take on lowly, often unnoticed tasks and care for those who have little status in the world."

My heart was lifted up at these words.  I was encouraged to know how much Christ values my little ones and how He took the time to hold the children in His arms.  It's such a sweet picture.  That reminds me of a quote from Anne of Green Gables.  She is looking at a picture depicting this scene and says, "But I wish the artist hadn't painted Him so sorrowful looking.  All His pictures are like that, if you've noticed.  But I don't believe He could really have looked so sad or the children would have been afraid of Him."

I think Jesus joyfully loved the children, too, and I pray that my heart would be joyful in caring for Ella and James today.  I miss KJ's help and most of all his companionship, but I think it does make me more productive and disciplined knowing that I am the only one here to do every task and care for every need.  Thank you for your prayers last night.  James did much better.  He still woke once crying, but it didn't last 3 hours.  Here's to a great day!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the encouragement. I definitely needed to hear that today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word. I am thinking about preaching Matthew 18 on the Sunday when I return. You can add this verse to your list, "See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of My Father who is in heaven" (v.10).

    Thank you for caring for our children. I love you so much.
    KJ

    ReplyDelete