Thursday, May 13, 2010

Survivor Mom

This post would be a lot cooler if I had a video blog and could commentate on my days (and nights) as they were happening.  Oh, well.  I don't have time to figure that out.  But I definitely feel like I've just been surviving this week.  It seems like James has gotten a new tooth every night since last Friday.  In reality, he has only gotten two new teeth in the past 6 nights, but they have kept him waking up and feeling kind of miserable for 5 of the 6.  Last night I told KJ I was way over teething.  I'm pretty ready for a break.  It is so hard to function well with such broken sleep.  In some ways I feel like it makes for wasted days because I kind of drift along just trying to do what I need to do without being short-tempered or over-indulging in chocolate.  


But the Lord has been really gracious, and it has not been all bad.  It is encouraging to see His sanctifying work in my life.  When Ella was a baby I would become a bit embittered at what I saw as God ignoring all my requests for a decent night's sleep and not caring that I really could not survive like this for month upon month.  I have done better about accepting what I cannot change.  And I know that sometimes it is my fault.  I could do a better job of going to bed earlier.  


KJ came home early on Tuesday when I could not make it any longer, and I crashed for an hour and a half.  That was good.  And this morning I got to spend some time at the pool with my dear friend, Molly.  I was a mean mother and didn't bring Ella with me, and it was so nice to have uninterrupted conversation and enjoy the warmth of the sun and pool breezes.  Other bright spots?

  • Ella and I played a few games of Uno yesterday.  She's  pretty fun playing that game.  She spreads all her cards out where I can see them, so I try not to cheat too much.
  • James is learning to wave.  In fact, he was practicing that skill when he woke at 12:45 this morning.  I was rocking him, and he had his head up waving that arm around.
  • Hearing Ella sing I Could Sing of Your Love Forever  I was recently laughing with my family about that song because the song goes on forever, but I had on a Praise Baby dvd yesterday for James, and it was so sweet hearing Ella sing a praise song to the Lord.
  • Letting James play the piano  In order to keep him from becoming too grumpy this morning we spent some time at the keyboard.  It was fun to teach Ella such childhood favorites as I've Been Working on the Railroad, Clementine, and My Bonnie Lies Over the Ocean.  She was excited to learn some new songs, and that is a big deal for her.  New things are not her forte.
So, life is filled with small graces, and I am thankful.  I have also dutifully remembered to count the blessings we've been discussing in Sunday School. 

 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in  the heavenly places, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world...In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace...making known to us the mystery of his will...in him we have obtained an inheritance...in him you...were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit...

So...I will survive!


No comments:

Post a Comment