Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Christmas Eve

We drove home from my parents' house Christmas Eve afternoon.  I ran out to the store for one last little gathering of food before the holiday.  We attended a candlelight service that night, made extra-special by the arrival of cousins.  This was the first time I'd experienced the handing out of battery-powered candles for the little ones, and I thought it was the best idea!  I made some attempts at a group shot of the kids after the service.



Those kids were pretty wound up as you can see.  We ate dinner and visited with the cousins after the service and then loaded up the car to come home again.  It was a dark and clear night, and you could see all the stars so clearly.  Without thinking I started reciting Twas the Night Before Christmas aloud, and I couldn't believe how much of the poem I had memorized.  It was our first Christmas day to spend entirely at home since Ella was 3 months old, so we started talking about what traditions we would like to start.  Ella took the making of traditions very seriously.  Since I couldn't quite remember The Night Before Christmas in its entirety, I suggested I read it aloud when we got home, but my little reader wanted that responsibility and claimed it as her part in our new traditions.


I love to read aloud, and I wouldn't give it up for just anybody.  It's fun for me to see myself in her.

I don't even know what to say about these boys.  I just asked to take their picture, and this is what I got.  I love them.


I love the sense of expectancy that comes on Christmas Eve.
 
 "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night."

1 comment:

  1. Loving trying to catch up on your posts! Always such a delight. Beautiful pictures & beautiful people, as always. So thankful for Christmas & family time!

    ReplyDelete