Friday, February 15, 2013

Our Valentine's Day

Yesterday was so beautiful here.  Sunshine after four days of clouds!  It was wonderful.  Valentine's Day fell on KJ's day off, so that was a win, and it meant I got to enjoy a cold morning walk by myself.  I'm such good company.  

It was time for our termite bond to be renewed, so we were furiously cleaning out every corner of our house all morning.  I thought my house was clean and organized until a stranger was going to be walking through each room, spraying in the corners.  Only then did I realize how dirty and un-organized it all is. 

All of our efforts ended up being for naught since apparently, after 7 years, it's no longer upkeep in the termite department, but it's time to re-treat everything.  Instead of spraying, the man walked around the outside of the house measuring, and we have two options to decide between, both unforeseen expenses.  That's life as homeowner, right? On the bright side, our house was really clean, and I had a shower!

It was so nice outside I felt very inspired and wanted to be creative and take pictures, but I thought Ella was probably tired of being my model, and I couldn't think of anyone that could get together very impromptu-like before Ella's gymnastics and before James woke up from nap.  So I read a little and took a nap instead.

I didn't get flowers yesterday, but I did spot the ghosts of Valentine's past rising again in the front yard.  Hooray for Spring!

      Tulips from the Past
(and some weeds that need picking)

When talking about past Valentine's Days last night, I made KJ very happy.  He never did things the "traditional" way, a dozen roses and a nice dinner.  I used to wish he would.  I used to think, "He thinks differently from everyone else.  Why is that?"But then," as I told him last night, "I realized your way of thinking was better than everyone else's."  He was exultant.  

His way of thinking includes flowers that can be re-planted and grow again and spending money on things that will last and things he knows I'll really enjoy and that will make me really happy.  And there's nothing so very wrong in that. 

On that note, here's what I had for dinner last night:

That was all KJ's idea, and it cracks me up, but his thoughtfulness meant a lot to me.  He picked up dinner on the way home from gymnastics with Ella, and after the kids went to bed we made it through at least half of a James Bond movie before I started falling asleep.  McDonalds and James Bond:  I think that's a pretty good way to spend Valentine's...except I woke up early this morning with a start because I was dreaming there was an intruder in our house, and I was so tired I couldn't make myself get up and take care of that problem. 

Do you remember the first Valentine's Day we were dating?

Mmm...why don't you remind me?

I think your mom probably had to call you and let you know it was Valentine's Day, because you weren't aware of things like that back then.  You picked me up at my dorm with a single rose and a box of conversation hearts...
I think conversation hearts are disgusting.

I LOVE conversation hearts!

I didn't eat them, but I saved them.

Those are 10 years old by now...
 
Yeah...
 
-A Valentine's Night Conversation -        

2 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL!

    I love reading about your charming life, charming you, and the charming other 3 who live in your home.

    The Valentine conversation was classic!

    And I just got through posting a little about past V-Days, too :)

    ReplyDelete