Thursday, February 16, 2012

A Heart for Any Fate

Nothing says that you have a heart for any fate like deciding to take your 2-year-old and an almost 5-month old to get the 2-year-old's hair cut all by yourself.  I'm either brave or stupid, but I was aiming to be a hero in the strife today and be innovative and courageous about my duties, so...

Fate 1- James screams and cries and refuses to be still.  Luke cries in his baby seat.  I wish I could die.

Fate 2- Everything goes well.

Yesterday I cleaned all day long.  Granted, no one probably noticed, because I was just continuously cleaning up everyone's stuff, but I washed dishes a bazillion times yesterday.  It felt really nice to start this morning in a clean house, but it made me feel kind of bored with the idea of a cleaning agenda for the day again.  There were a few items I needed from the store, so I started working toward that outing.  And then I looked at my son and had a brilliant idea.  There's a salon right beside the Winn-Dixie up the road from our house, and I said, "Today is the day."  Look at this poor kid.


He's really cute to be sure but in desperate need of a haircut.  We've gotten by over the past few months with letting my mom cut it in when she came to town.  I've snipped at it a bit, and KJ cut it out of his eyes last month.  Poor kid.  Making a special trip to the salon for James hasn't been a priority or even something we looked forward to trying, but something in me said that today was the day.

He looks a bit like Shaggy off of Scooby-Doo.

Someone help me!

I've never taken the boys out together before, but I put them in their respective car seats for the adventure.  I hadn't taken into account lugging the baby seat across the parking lot while holding James' hand at the same time, but we made it.  James was so adorable once we got in the salon.  He ran around, but he obeyed so well, too, when I told him not to touch things.  I think he was excited to be out of the house because he did the worm across the salon floor, stopping halfway to look at it and say, "Dirty."  Yes, it is dirty, son.  Get up off the floor.  

I held him in my lap, and one bag of fruit snacks later he was a new man.  He really did so well. I was so proud of him and so thankful that the Lord let us have Fate #2.

eating his celebratory yogurt


He looks like somebody loves him now.

And as for the other boy?  Having had a good morning nap and a full tummy, he was perfect.  He hardly made a peep except to coo now and again and was quite content with his hands and his toys.




And just to prove that wonders never cease, we even made it happily through Winn-Dixie, arriving  home in time for both boys to go down for a nap and me to enjoy a quiet house.  Now that's what I call a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment