Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Changed Heart


Saturdays are proving to be kind of busy around our house, but I wanted to join Leslie again with where I found delight in God's Word this week.  I've been reading in 1 Samuel this past week, and I've yet to find the actual word delight, but I have come upon words like it in Hannah's song after the LORD had answered her prayer and given her a son.

My heart exults in the LORD;
my strength is exalted in the LORD...
I rejoice in your salvation.
- 1 Samuel 2:1 -

The truth that I most rejoiced in this week was God's power over the human heart as it was illustrated in God's calling of Saul to be king.  Samuel prophesied at God's command that Saul would join a group of prophets coming down from the high place:  "Then the Spirit of the LORD will rush upon you, and you will prophesy with them and be turned into another man."  I love that God has power to turn us into new creations, to change our hearts.  Of course God's word to Samuel came to pass.  When Saul turned to leave Samuel "...God gave him another heart."  I think those are beautiful words.

The end of Saul's story is sad, with God's Spirit leaving him because of his disobedience, but it makes me all the more grateful for Jesus' words, "I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth..." (John 14:16-17a). 

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful nuggets of truth Lynn. Thinking also of Prov 21:1 "The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will."

    What comfort we can rest in knowing He is sovereign over the wicked and righteous alike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post, Lynn. Reminds me to give thanks that "he will never leave us nor forsake us" (Hebrews 13:5).

    ReplyDelete