Friday, October 15, 2010

Week In Review

The weeks go by so quickly, don't they?  They certainly do for me.  A couple of years ago when Ella was two I remember watching her chase bubbles in the backyard and thinking, "Wow.  Time goes by so quickly, and I want to hold on to each day."  I had this great idea then to take a picture of her every day and put it in a scrapbook, because the changes in children happen so imperceptibly.  I wanted to capture each moment as she grew.  I never made that scrapbook, but I did start writing this blog in March!  And since then I have taken her picture almost every day.  I'm glad that I have.  Our lives are made up of these small moments, and they are so precious.  So, here's a few things we did during a beautiful fall week that has flown by:



  1. We took a walk around the neighborhood.  I love the feel of cool, crisp air in the morning.  We went first thing.  Ella ate breakfast (a granola bar) in the stroller, and James chowed down on Cheerios from his tray.  It was nice.
  2. We went to the library.  Again, a sudden desire that I acted upon first thing in the morning.  There's something about an October sky and October sunshine that makes me want to hit the open road.  I also thought we might make story time.  We missed it this week (James slept until 9:10 that morning!), but we still had a good time.



3.  KJ and I got to go on a date.  Mama T. and a friend from church, Kim Sales watched the children for us, and we had an afternoon and evening together.  We enjoyed some beautiful weather and a nice walk by the river, a little bit of Shakespeare, dinner at Newk's, and a trip to Lifeway.  We came home a little early and got to spend some time with Kim, who helped us out during family worship with her guitar skills.


KJ's not much for landscape pictures without us in them. 
This is what resulted when I tried to stare nonchalantly at a tree while he took my picture.

"Never did the course of true love run smooth..."
...a line we read yesterday, but thankfully ours has...

Ella strums while Kim changes chords.
They make a good team.

4.  The kids and I went to the mall this morning.  I was really afraid I was doing something extremely unwise, heading across town in the morning alone with both children.  I was especially concerned about James who has been such a sleepyhead recently.  I knew he would be wanting a nap before we made it home.  We made it to the mall by 9:30, when I realized that the stores don't open until 10 a.m.  (I forgot.  I don't go to the mall that often, especially not first thing in the morning.)  We bided our time at the fountain.


Ella didn't want me to put money in it to make it move.
She just wanted to climb inside it and play.
Fine by me.  Cheap, and it passed the time until the stores opened.

I was really grateful that I found everything I needed in 30 minutes, warm pajamas and socks with tread for James and a couple of fall dresses for Ella.  Score.  And James only hollered out periodically as he sucked his thumb.  We even made it through a quick run to Target before heading home with the help of the trusty stroller.  James fell asleep before we made it to McFarland and slept for another hour and 15 minutes once we got home and got him in his bed.  I am very thankful.

So teach us to number our days that we may get a heart of wisdom...Satisfy us in the morning with your steadfast love, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days.
- Psalm 90:12, 14 -


2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the lovely pictures and review. I hunger to see them. They are so precious. The pics of you and KJ are great. I like your hair!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is great! I love the pictures. It looks like we've got some things in common. I gasped when I saw your header with Jimmy Stewart, my all-time favorite actor. You racked up definite points there! ;-) I'm looking forward to getting to know you better.

    ReplyDelete